TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging in Quebec, Canada

Discussion in 'North America' started by clea, Sep 13, 2011.

1. clea

clea Member

First signs that the charging infrastructure in quebec is being implemented ...

You can see the station (and wires) for the electric commuter train in the background ...

IMG00006-20110911-1919.jpg

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Where is this, exactly?

3. clea

clea Member

#3 clea, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
    its in the parking lot just east of the AMT commuter train station in Sainte Dorothee, Laval

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainte-Doroth%C3%A9e_(AMT)
    AMT - Stations - Sainte-Dorothée

Would assume that this is not the first station to get them but i have not found any news about the installations yet.

edit: I found this on their (AMT) website (sorry but only in french) which states that this is for an initial trial and there will be charge stations at two of the Laval Metro stations and at the Sainte Dorothee commuter train station.

4. clea

clea Member

now i found the real story behind the EVSEs installed. It's part of a electric car carpooling trial (Clic | Société de transport de Laval). Funny (or maybe sad) that they are using the Volt as the car for the EV trial.

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

So they're carpooling to the train station?

6. clea

clea Member

or to the metro station, that what they are expecting. the metro (montreal underground subway) and train stations involved are on an island north of Montreal so it sortof makes sense for people that commute from further away. Crossing the bridges into town is not pleasant during rush hour.

7. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Where's the best place to charge in or near Montreal if you're coming from the south like I would be? I live 189 miles from Montreal and my wife and I want to travel there in November.

8. clea

clea Member

we have almost zero infrastructure here still, which is why i got excited when i saw a pair of charging stations. The governement seems to be trying to incetivize it but it doesn't look like it will be in place for at least another year. However i have seen that the Sheraton hotel in downtown Montreal has installed two chargers in partnership with Coulomb. Other than that, the only other sources I know of between the US border and here would be the RV parks.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Agreed - almost zero. To my knowledge the only chargers in Eastern Canada are at the Sheraton hotels in Montreal and Toronto. Aside from certain people's garages, of course.

Ontario is supposed to be installing chargers at the GO Transit (train) stations around Toronto. I don't think any of them are actually in place yet. And of course unless you are commuting into Toronto they probably won't be that useful.

RV parks are pretty much it. The KOA campgrounds have a policy of $10 for an EV charge. Be sure to call ahead and reserve your slot. Best to avoid the weekend if you can (including Friday night); those are the busy times.

10. clea

clea Member

#10 clea, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
    The best documentation I have found so far wrt the planned EV infrastructure is here. In one of the newsletters published they state that "PEV drivers will also have access to a charging station locator service provided by Hydro-Québec and to a 24/7 telephone help line run by CAA Quebec." So we will be needing another app to locate charge stations ... I would hope at least that they would be open to sharing their data with the OpenChargeMap database.

11. clea

clea Member

12. clea

clea Member

The Electric Circuit (Quebec) seems to be online ...

Electric Circuit

I saw a couple of TV ads today and went and found out they were taking registrations where you could create an account and order an access card and/or fill it with credits ($2.50 flat fee per charge, no time limit).
    The map of EVSEs lists a number of them with their status so i would assume that they are ready to go.

13. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Fantastic!

14. agileone

agileone CDN P#40

Cool! Just went through the process and ordered my recharge card, now can I get my Model S any sooner :)

How about we actually check if the marked spots exist yet ? Will do so for the Metro on Fleury ...

15. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I'll be traveling to Montreal this summer. I tried to register and buy a card but they don't let you enter an American address!

16. clea

clea Member

that seems to be kind of short sighted on their part. i would be curious to know what they say if you emailed them about it.

17. clea

clea Member

If it comes down to it and you still can't get a card by the time you are planning to visit i could lend you mine. it also looks like they will let you have more than one card so it might be wise to have a guest one in any case. let me know how it goes and pm me if you think you need to borrow a card.

18. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

clea that's very nice of you! I emailed them and waiting for a response.

19. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

#19 hcsharp, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
    Today I got this response:

Maybe, clea, you can install a 70A HPC at your house and let Tesla owners use it??? We would be happy to pay you for all the power, not just $2.50:smile: (OK I know, a bit presumptuous. Just kidding:wink: ) Thanks.

20. clea

clea Member

I am open to sharing my electricity once i get setup to welcome my S, but all that is currently available is simply a 110 external outlet. Even then, i don't believe that i am situated in a good spot for you as i am north of Montreal.