Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Rockville

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker. First time poster.

My wife will be driving her Model S from PA to Rockville this week. Even though the Delaware Supercharger should be fine for the round trip she may go into DC to meet friends, dine, etc. Also there are the inevitable miles she will put on when giving demo rides to friends:cool:

So just in case she needs to charge and since she is staying in Rockville does anyone have experience with plugging into a 14-50 at the Rockville Service center for an hour or two (she would call ahead if she needed it)? If not does anyone have any recommendations on the Rockville area charging locations listed on Plugshare?

Thanks in advance,
Barry

Hey Barry,

Rockville SC tends to be happy to let you charge if necessary, but they tend to be very busy with too many delivery cars and cars in for service that I would place it in the impractical category all around. There are tons of 1772 chargers around (all 30A ~202V) some pay, some free. There is also the chargers in Tysons corner if you have a roadster adapter if she is happening down there. If she wants to fill up at my place she is more than welcome to (I'm about 5 miles from the Rockville SC) and can supply 65A at 242V.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the info and offer. Are you familiar with the chargers at Mom's Organic Market? They are listed as J1772 Sema Chargers. They are also listed as free, but I can't tell from the web site whether she would need a Semacharge account or card to use a free charger.

Barry

Thanks for the info and offer. Are you familiar with the chargers at Mom's Organic Market? They are listed as J1772 Sema Chargers. They are also listed as free, but I can't tell from the web site whether she would need a Semacharge account or card to use a free charger.

I haven't used MOM's, but I used a free SemaConnect charger at BWI Airport's Daily Garage this past weekend (my first J1772 charge!) (my first non-home charge!), and no card was needed. It wouldn't hurt to call MOM's to make sure she won't need a card, but I seriously doubt she'll need one.

Whether it's available when she needs it is another question. ;-) Sema's site lets you check on stations (dunno how accurate it is). BTW when I Googled Mom's Rockville, I could see the EV charger in the corner of the photo. ;-)

Hey Barry,

I have tested out MOMs and added the current and voltage numbers onto plugshare. But, I just can't remember for sure if I needed my card to activate them. I don't think that I did. I will say though that most free chargers I run into on my travels require an access card to unlock and run even though they are free. I carry Sema, Chargepoint, and Blink with me to cover all the networks that I see.

Peter

Long time lurker. First time poster.

My wife will be driving her Model S from PA to Rockville this week. Even though the Delaware Supercharger should be fine for the round trip she may go into DC to meet friends, dine, etc. Also there are the inevitable miles she will put on when giving demo rides to friends:cool:

So just in case she needs to charge and since she is staying in Rockville does anyone have experience with plugging into a 14-50 at the Rockville Service center for an hour or two (she would call ahead if she needed it)? If not does anyone have any recommendations on the Rockville area charging locations listed on Plugshare?

Thanks in advance,
Barry

didnt know if you plan on making this trip again in the future. The Montgomery Mall Tesla gallery is open which is next to Rockville and it has (4) 14-50's and (2) HPWC's.