Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in the Henderson/Las Vegas area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to be picking up my 60KWH Model S on Thursday 5/30 (yay!) and plan on heading down to Las Vegas from the Bay Area the very next day. I'll be leaving the Bay Friday morning and will be returning Sunday night. I'm going to be house/apartment hunting for my move to the Henderson area. Honestly, this is mostly an excuse to get away from everybody and spend time alone with my car.

However, I'm going to be staying with a friend in Henderson rather than going into Las Vegas proper and was wondering if anybody had suggestions on how I should go about charging the car while I'm in the greater Las Vegas area. My friend, understandably, doesn't have any real charging capabilities at his house. (I suppose I could plug it into a standard 110v outlet for a whopping 15 miles a night).

So, to sum it up: Staying with a friend in Henderson, Nevada. Not staying at a hotel. How should I charge my Model S?

Thanks for the help!

I'm going to be picking up my 60KWH Model S on Thursday 5/30 (yay!) and plan on heading down to Las Vegas from the Bay Area the very next day. I'll be leaving the Bay Friday morning and will be returning Sunday night. I'm going to be house/apartment hunting for my move to the Henderson area. Honestly, this is mostly an excuse to get away from everybody and spend time alone with my car.

However, I'm going to be staying with a friend in Henderson rather than going into Las Vegas proper and was wondering if anybody had suggestions on how I should go about charging the car while I'm in the greater Las Vegas area. My friend, understandably, doesn't have any real charging capabilities at his house. (I suppose I could plug it into a standard 110v outlet for a whopping 15 miles a night).

So, to sum it up: Staying with a friend in Henderson, Nevada. Not staying at a hotel. How should I charge my Model S?

Thanks for the help!

Go to any RV park in the area and ask for "50 amp" hookup. It's use the NEMA 14-50 connector (220v). I'm sure you selected that connector option with the car. Get it from Tesla if you didn't. There are also J1772 public stations around but they are slow. NEMA connector will get you 25mi/hr charging. Also, circus circus has an RV lot. I'm sure there's RV parks in Henderson too. You could then top off at your friends overnight on 110v

Try searching for locations on Nevada Electric Vehicle Accelerator's site, Recargo or Plug Share. There are a few in Henderson and lots in the Las Vegas valley. The county government center west of downtown LV is a good spot. You might have to leave your car somewhere for awhile. You can also trickle charge at your friends house overnight.

Also if you range charge in Barstow and drive 70 from there, you'll arrive with more range and won't have to charge as long in Henderson. Have as much range as possible when you leave for Barstow as there is often a headwind.