TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging in the rain?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by smilepak, Jul 19, 2015.

1. smilepak

smilepak Member

What's the safety around start charging while it is raining? Some of these chargers like the Chargepoint or public ChaDemo are in open parking spot, not covered by anything.

2. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Rain is fine, might want to use an umbrella while putting the connector in.
    Lightening,is another story.

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

EVSE standards for A/C charging, and DC charging standards both require interlock that ensures exposed parts are never energized as well as ground fault protection that would immediately disconnect power if current flows to the wrong place. You're safe to plug in while in the rain.

4. Electric700

Electric700 Member

#4 Electric700, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    It only happened once where I got a red charge port fault apparently due to rain that got in the charge port and connector. After letting them dry out some overnight, I still got the red charge port indicator light. To fix it, I pressed the reset button on the bottom of the UMC, then reset power to the UMC, blew on the connector and charge port a few times to help dry them out, and then reconnected the cable. It started charging with the normal green port light!

5. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

The Syosset superchargers are built next to a bunch of plantings that are on timed sprinklers.. the car enjoyed the light wash, and was happily topping up at 280 mph.. I on the other hand, got drenched.

I don't think rain is an issue for supercharging (or any sort of charging) otherwise these chargers would not be anywhere near sprinklers.

I can't say I was't apprehensive about it, but I needed the charge to get home.

6. Electric700

Electric700 Member

#6 Electric700, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Agreed. Except for that one instance I mentioned in my earlier post that I was able to successfully resolve on my own, I have never had any trouble charging in the rain.

7. RDoc

RDoc S85D

We supercharged in Delaware once in a downpour. Apart from getting soaked myself, it worked without any issues.

8. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

What about with the UMC? Obviously it's not problem at the charge port on the car, but is the UMC brick itself watertight? It seems like it is but I'm still nervous when I'm away and plugged into a exterior wall outlet.

9. Electric700

Electric700 Member

I think so, however I still try to protect my UMC by putting it underneath the car while charging outside. It may still get wet, but at least it's indirect moisture.