Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in the Spanish Pyrenees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve searched without much success so please point me in the right direction if there is an answer somewhere I’ve missed!
We’re travelling from Santander to the Barcelona area in May 2023 in our M3LR and spending time in the Pyrenees. We’d be very grateful If anyone has any recent experience of charging in the areas north of Pamplona in the Basque Country and then further east in the national parks in Navarra, Aragon and Catalonia. We’ll use the superchargers in Pamplona initially, but then we’ll need to rely on local public chargers as we drive the rural areas and national parks. Anyone know the best networks/maps/apps/RFID cards etc? I have gleaned that Octopus Electroverse card (which I have) works in some places but not sure which networks.
Many thanks for any advice you can give.

You’ll want the EVcharge app. This gives you access to a handful of different networks in Spain, including the council run chargers throughout Cataluña which are amazingly still free!

Octopus Electroverse and Shell Recharge also cover a number of charge networks in Spain.

As I frequently visit Spain, I also have Zunder and “Enel X Way” that are networks with chargers dotted around the place. It’s worth checking Electroverse and Shell Recharge as it can sometimes work out cheaper to use them than the network’s own app!

Have you looked at ABRP (A Better Route Planner)?

You can select the networks that you want - but there appear to be several super chargers in the vicinity... lots of level 2 chargers as well at hotels.
Yes, do have a look at destination chargers as Spain has adopted destination chargers in a much bigger way than the UK has. Many hotels have chargers that are often free.

• Informative
Reactions: thax1
You’ll want the EVcharge app. This gives you access to a handful of different networks in Spain, including the council run chargers throughout Cataluña which are amazingly still free!

Octopus Electroverse and Shell Recharge also cover a number of charge networks in Spain.

As I frequently visit Spain, I also have Zunder and “Enel X Way” that are networks with chargers dotted around the place. It’s worth checking Electroverse and Shell Recharge as it can sometimes work out cheaper to use them than the network’s own app!
Thanks you for your advice Cardo - much appreciated. I've downloaded the apps for all the networks you mention and will make sure I have an account with all of them. Their maps don't show much in the areas we intend to visit, but along with ABRP (mentioned in other replies) I am hopeful we can always find somewhere!

Have you looked at ABRP (A Better Route Planner)?

You can select the networks that you want - but there appear to be several super chargers in the vicinity... lots of level 2 chargers as well at hotels.
Yes, I have ABRP and for the main route this is fine. However, we will be touring around from a couple of rural bases (the accommodation we've booked doesn't have destination chargers) and so we don't have specific routes for the local stuff yet. I'm not sure, can you see chargers on ABRP's map without actually plotting a route can you?

Yes, I have ABRP and for the main route this is fine. However, we will be touring around from a couple of rural bases (the accommodation we've booked doesn't have destination chargers) and so we don't have specific routes for the local stuff yet. I'm not sure, can you see chargers on ABRP's map without actually plotting a route can you?
Have a look on PlugShare. It’s like ZapMap, but worldwide.

the accommodation we've booked doesn't have destination chargers

13AMP is about 8 MPH (and you might get 16AMPs on a Schuko connection). An overnight UMC charge would be about 100 miles. So if you "tour" less than that each day, and have opportunity for UMC charging, you might be able to avoid needing to find a rapid charger

Have a look on PlugShare

Was going to suggest that too. I'm finding that the PlugShare data is less comprehensive than it used to be - so not sure if maintenance (addition of new sites) has deteriorated.

Worth looking in the comments (i.e. for a specific site) to see if anyone has recently successfully charged - if there are recent "failed to charge" comments I'd plan to go elsewhere.

A while back I did a Google for charging in France, and it turned up a PlugShare/Zap-map-like site (specific to that country), so you might find there is a similar resource for your destination?

I’ve searched without much success so please point me in the right direction if there is an answer somewhere I’ve missed!
We’re travelling from Santander to the Barcelona area in May 2023 in our M3LR and spending time in the Pyrenees. We’d be very grateful If anyone has any recent experience of charging in the areas north of Pamplona in the Basque Country and then further east in the national parks in Navarra, Aragon and Catalonia. We’ll use the superchargers in Pamplona initially, but then we’ll need to rely on local public chargers as we drive the rural areas and national parks. Anyone know the best networks/maps/apps/RFID cards etc? I have gleaned that Octopus Electroverse card (which I have) works in some places but not sure which networks.
Many thanks for any advice you can give.
OP
My USA brother lives in this area, BIQ FR
Still trying to get him into an EV/Tesla