Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging in the uk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Underway from Maidstone to salisburry we took lunch at the service area next the M25 south with another ecotricity charging station. It's a pitty the tesla chademo adapter isn't available yet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387647368.454868.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387647382.137401.jpg

We're now in the best western red lion in Salisburry. The parking spaces are kind of narrow. I had to shoehorn it in:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387647539.270790.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387647550.337211.jpg

Great to see it all working smoothly. I guess our Old World parking spaces are not meant for these large American cars :)

While you were charging in Southampton I was checking out the ecotricity charger at Winchester.

Good luck crossing the Bay of Biscay - that's one hell of a storm brewing out there. Tie the car down well.

Indeed, great to see it's all working out :)

I just registered for a Ecotricity card since I'll be visiting the UK a couple of times next year. Seems like all their chargers are at the right locations for me.

I'm stunned about their network, nice to see how great their coverage is along the major motor ways. If I have the CHAdeMO adapter in March it will be even easier.

Charging on board the Brittany ferries unfortunately doesn't work, the UMC won't accept the voltage: 230V between the phases, but only 120V between each (!) of the phases and the ground.

I also can't use the red 3phase 16A adaptor, since the 3 phase connections on board are the larger 32A cee outlets. I had planned to make a 16A cee to 32A cee adaptor, but unfortunately I cpuldn't find time for it...

Did you make it to Spain? Ferries to France were cancelled last night.

Thought you might have trouble with the standard connectors on the ferry. I had problems with the 32A too.

Hi there! We did depart last night with a 2 hour delay. This morning we arrived at Roscoff where the crew was changed. We had a rough sea in the Channel but it was doable.

The trip from there on was a disaster: we departed Roscoff at 9 am in rough wheather that got worse and worse. At 2 pm we were told that the captain had decided to return to brest or Roscoff! By that time everybody was seasick.

Right now we're in a bay just south of brest, I guess waiting for the weather to improve.

@ Wido: you can apply for the card at the ecotricity website.

Hello everybody. I see a lot of help from our UK drivers for the dutch people who are visiting the UK. I'm planning my summer holiday for next year (yes it is next year) which will start at Harwich, next to Cambridge, to Banburry (Oxfordshire), than to Beddgelert, after that we go to Ireland and stay in Dublin, next Galway, Sligo, Ardara and finally in Belfast. After this we will go to Drymen (nearby Glasgow), Edinbrough, Wark and then back to the Netherlands. This roundtrip will take 21 days, so I have some opportunity to charge my car.

Now I' ve a question about charging at 1 phases, 32 Amp in the UK. I have a double charger aboard, but can anyone tell me how long it takes to charge the car at such a charging point. Further on I'm looking for a good alternative of charging in the area of Beddgelert, for now I will charge at a camp in Hafod Y Lian, but maybe somebody knows a better charging point in that area.

Hello everybody. I see a lot of help from our UK drivers for the dutch people who are visiting the UK. I'm planning my summer holiday for next year (yes it is next year) which will start at Harwich, next to Cambridge, to Banburry (Oxfordshire), than to Beddgelert, after that we go to Ireland and stay in Dublin, next Galway, Sligo, Ardara and finally in Belfast. After this we will go to Drymen (nearby Glasgow), Edinbrough, Wark and then back to the Netherlands. This roundtrip will take 21 days, so I have some opportunity to charge my car.

Now I' ve a question about charging at 1 phases, 32 Amp in the UK. I have a double charger aboard, but can anyone tell me how long it takes to charge the car at such a charging point. Further on I'm looking for a good alternative of charging in the area of Beddgelert, for now I will charge at a camp in Hafod Y Lian, but maybe somebody knows a better charging point in that area.
The voltage in the UK is 240V, so that results in: 7.6kW

90kWh / 7.6kW = 11.8 hours

You will charge about 38 typical kilometers per hour.

I ordered the Blue 32A adapter and should have it within a couple of weeks. Same goes for my RFID card for the Ecotricity network. You can borrow both!

The voltage in the UK is 240V, so that results in: 7.6kW

90kWh / 7.6kW = 11.8 hours

You will charge about 38 typical kilometers per hour.

I ordered the Blue 32A adapter and should have it within a couple of weeks. Same goes for my RFID card for the Ecotricity network. You can borrow both!

Wido, thanx already for your offer of borrowing your stuff. Another question, do you know if there is a charge for the power supply bij Ecotricity network. We keep in contact.

just a warning around Cambridge there is very little in the way of fast charging, 7kw is the best you are going to find. Park and ride sites have 7kw however they are going to start charging to park there, city center parking is crazy prices, its 10amps only and will cost you around £20 to park for 4 hours.

Wido, thanx already for your offer of borrowing your stuff. Another question, do you know if there is a charge for the power supply bij Ecotricity network. We keep in contact.
As far as I know the Ecotricity network is for free.

I'm heading off to the UK the first weekend of March driving to Calais, taking the train or ferry (if I can charge). Using the Ecotricity network I should be able to drive to Wales. (Breacon).

I'm heading off to the UK the first weekend of March driving to Calais, taking the train or ferry (if I can charge). Using the Ecotricity network I should be able to drive to Wales. (Breacon).

Wido, I'm looking forward to hear your experiance of traveling trough the UK with the Tesla.

Charging at the ecotricity network is free. If you take the stena line you can charge on board, they have 2 type 2 chargers. Unfortunately you can't reserve them.

Many ecotricity chargers have both ac and chademo capability. I would certainly take a chademo as soon as tesla vaan deliver it.

Charging at the ecotricity network is free. If you take the stena line you can charge on board, they have 2 type 2 chargers. Unfortunately you can't reserve them.

Many ecotricity chargers have both ac and chademo capability. I would certainly take a chademo as soon as tesla vaan deliver it.
I guess you mean Stena Line from Hoek van Holland? I mean the ferry from Calais to Dover.