Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging in the uk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks,

If you're down in the Bristol area (Just before the M4 Bridges into Wales) please do drop by. I have 2x 32A Type 2 at my house, Maybe I can treat you to a coffee :)

Nikki.

(BS34, Bristol) PM me for contact info.

-----------

Transport Evolved – Powering the Electric Car Revolution
I'm coming down that way in the beginning of March, I have to go to Breacon :) 3x32A or 1x32A?

I just received my Ecotricity card, well, actually 2! I submitted the form twice and they send me two cards.

Ray, interested in the second card? :)

I'm coming down that way in the beginning of March, I have to go to Breacon :) 3x32A or 1x32A?

I just received my Ecotricity card, well, actually 2! I submitted the form twice and they send me two cards.

Ray, interested in the second card? :)

Wido, off course I'm interested in the second card. But maybe someone else can use it before my holiday. I would like to reserve the card from half of august until half of september. We will make an appointment to check out your experience and some useful supply which will help me to charge my car in the UK and Ireland.

For the interested people hereby a link with our route through the UK and Ireland, included te places where we stay for at least one night.
https://maps.google.nl/maps?saddr=S...dA29-SDFrz5O3g3RLCw&oq=dfds+ij&mra=pr&t=m&z=6

Last edited:
Wido, offcourse I'm interested in the second card. But maybe someone else can use it before my holiday. I would like to reserve the card from half of august until half of september. We will make an appointment to check out your experience and some useful supply which will help me to charge my car in the UK and Ireland.

For the interested people hereby a link to my route through the UK and Ireland
https://maps.google.nl/maps?saddr=S...dA29-SDFrz5O3g3RLCw&oq=dfds+ij&mra=pr&t=m&z=6
Sure!

If anyone else needs my Ecotricity card, let me know, happy to send it over.

Looking forward to my trip in 6 weeks. I'll make sure I write a extended blogpost about it.

Some experiences of driving from the Netherlands to the UK:

1. Via P&O Rotterdam to Hull: A few blue 16 amp single phase sockets at the side of the card deck available but you have to tell them as you drive on to the ferry that you need one.
2. Ecotricity network: Fantastic - just need one or more in Kent and I will be very happy
3. Via Eurotunnel: Always book as Van/high vechicle as standard car trains are too narrow.
Also a challange to drive slowly between Oosterhout and Calais unless you stop at IKEA in Gent to charge up (11kw Type 2)
There is a Renault garage at Le Cite at Calais but haven't tried it yet (probably next trip)
4. Also travelled back via P&O Dover-Calais but didn't ask about charging on board as we had full charge at Folkestone.

Hope that helps.

First post. Was playing around with an optimal network for the UK. Came up with the attached. Twelve covers all inter-city journeys I can imagine including links to continent/Ireland.... benefit of being a small island :)

SuperchargerUK.png

An update:
The Renault garage in Calais (near Le Cité) has the EV Alliance shuttered style socket (Type 3). It can only be used when the one person who has the card is available - therefore only during their opening hours. I didn't find out if it is 16amp single phase or better. So to use it I would need to find a converter for my many other plugs and possibly after going to all that effort all I would get is about 13km per hour charge. But I might get 22kw - ahh so is life :cursing:

First post. Was playing around with an optimal network for the UK. Came up with the attached. Twelve covers all inter-city journeys I can imagine including links to continent/Ireland.... benefit of being a small island :)

View attachment 41904

Does anybody knows when and where SuperChargers will be realized in the UK? On the map of Tesla they don't show exactly where the SC will be realized.

You guys do know there is a Tesla HPC network that covers the UK with 10 sites? It looks very similar to this and was intended to be the basis for the Model S too.

I would have thought if the Roadster can get away with 10 sites then MS doesn't need 12.

So my trip starts this Friday! At 09:40 I'll take the Calais -> Dover ferry and about 50km after Dover I'll stop at my first Ecotricity charging station. Calais is just 211km from my home, so I need about 270km of range to reach the charging station.

I'll continue my trip afterwards towards Wales and using the various Ecotricity 3x32A chargers along the way to reach my destination. Since Model S is limited to 3x26A I'll be limited to 18kW of charging, so I'll be waiting quite some time. Fortunately I'm also a software developer, so I'll use that time to write some code and documentation :)

On Monday I'll drive back again using the same route. It all seems very doable and I can always fall back on the ZeroCarbon network.

I'll take my Type 2 cable with me and a UK domestic to Schuko 13A adapter so I can always use my UMC as a last resort.

In total it's a 1400km trip.

When I get back on Monday evening I'm leaving for Austria the next morning again using the SuperChargers in Germany which is a 1150km trip.

Yes, I'll be doing a lot of driving in my Model S in the coming 10 days!

So my trip starts this Friday! At 09:40 I'll take the Calais -> Dover ferry and about 50km after Dover I'll stop at my first Ecotricity charging station. Calais is just 211km from my home, so I need about 270km of range to reach the charging station.

I'll continue my trip afterwards towards Wales and using the various Ecotricity 3x32A chargers along the way to reach my destination. Since Model S is limited to 3x26A I'll be limited to 18kW of charging, so I'll be waiting quite some time. Fortunately I'm also a software developer, so I'll use that time to write some code and documentation :)

On Monday I'll drive back again using the same route. It all seems very doable and I can always fall back on the ZeroCarbon network.

I'll take my Type 2 cable with me and a UK domestic to Schuko 13A adapter so I can always use my UMC as a last resort.

In total it's a 1400km trip.

When I get back on Monday evening I'm leaving for Austria the next morning again using the SuperChargers in Germany which is a 1150km trip.

Yes, I'll be doing a lot of driving in my Model S in the coming 10 days!

Looking forward to a full report for both trips.

Have a safe trip!

I'm posting this from a services along the M4 Motor way towards Wales waiting for a charge.

On my blog I have a post which I keep updating during the trip: Middelburg to Wales and back | Widodh

So far it's all working out just fine! Yes, it's a drawback that I'm currently limited to 3x26A and the CHAdeMO adapter isn't available yet, but the Ecotricity network works just fine.

Welcome to England !

Have you had many random strangers ask about the Model S ?!?

Welcome to England !

Have you had many random strangers ask about the Model S ?!?
I had a lot of random people taking pictures on the motor ways :) We had to random strangers who came by for a small chat, they were happy to see a Model S on British soil.

The trip is fun, but ~19kW of charging is way to slow to repeat it. Yes, I feel like a pioneer now, but I would really love the CHAdeMO adapter for a 50kW charge or a couple of SuperChargers with 120kW :)

Nevertheless, fun to do and still enjoying it!

Wido, I'm also curious about your experience of charging in the UK. My holiday for this summer is finally fixed, so now I will start to do the best planning of charging my car. I will keep an update on a triplog. The URL I will post later on.

Hope to speak with you when I am a little bit further with scheduling of our trip. Ik hope several UK en Irish people are also reading this forum so they can help me with points of charging when I don't find any. Have a good trip at the UK and Austria.

Wido, I'm also curious about your experience of charging in the UK. My holiday for this summer is finally fixed, so now I will start to do the best planning of charging my car. I will keep an update on a triplog. The URL I will post later on.

Hope to speak with you when I am a little bit further with scheduling of our trip. Ik hope several UK en Irish people are also reading this forum so they can help me with points of charging when I don't find any. Have a good trip at the UK and Austria.
I made it to Wales yesterday!

Couldn't post earlier, but it all worked just fine. Yes, with a CHAdeMO adapter it would have been a lot quicker, but the Ecotricity chargers worked just fine. I even blocked a charger for a Leaf. The driver spotted us with our laptops and figured we were the Tesla drivers. He needed a charge as well. Luckily we were almost full, so we unplugged and he could charge.

Just sent me a PM if you need my mobile phone to call me.

I made it to Wales yesterday!

Couldn't post earlier, but it all worked just fine. Yes, with a CHAdeMO adapter it would have been a lot quicker, but the Ecotricity chargers worked just fine. I even blocked a charger for a Leaf. The driver spotted us with our laptops and figured we were the Tesla drivers. He needed a charge as well. Luckily we were almost full, so we unplugged and he could charge.

Just sent me a PM if you need my mobile phone to call me.

Glad you made it without any problems.
The Ecotricity network is great and I enjoy showing UK Jaguar and BMW drivers what they are missing when on the UK motorways :wink:
I just wish I was lucky as you to live so close to Calais.
From the Oosterhout supercharger there isn't enough range to get to the M2 Ecotricity charger so we stop at IKEA Gent (11kw).
(Ok so I could drive at 50km/hour but what the heck)
Next weekend we are going over again and this time will be trying some more ideas.
I have found some info about Belgian railway station carparks and will be trying to use the one in Gent.
Plus I now have a French style cable so I can finally try out the Renault garage in Calais.
Wil post my findings when I get back to the Netherlands.