TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

charging in the uk

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Daniel 74, Nov 14, 2013.

1. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

As Kevin says you can use either Ecotricity DC/AC Fast Chargers (though only at 22kW AC until the CHAdeMO adaptor arrives) or their AC Medium Chargers (also at 22kW AC). The only difference is that the former has a tethered cable and with the latter you need to bring your own Type 2. The medium charger at Wheatley claims to be online.

For overnight charging yes a robust schuko to 13A adaptor should be fine, but I would strongly advise that you manually dial down the current limit (on the charging options menu in the car) to 10A before you start charging, and avoid "standard" household extension leads if at all possible. If you need it and you have the time/opportunity it might be worth building yourself a robust extension lead with a 13A UK plug on one end and a schuko socket on the other.

2. skn

skn Member

Thanks for the info. Don't think i will have the time to build an extension. Is there a place/brand in uk I can buy or order one from amazon?

3. nwarddrfc

nwarddrfc Member

Whats the longest you can go cable length wise as may charger is in may garage at the back of the house and the model s wont fit down the side

4. skn

skn Member

To be frank I have no idea as I have never been to the house before.

5. nwarddrfc

nwarddrfc Member

Haha ok the cable would need to be about 15 metres would this be possible

6. skn

skn Member

#106 skn, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    Ok, experience so far. First fast charge using ecotricity worked great at Moto service break. Second try no luck, the charger keeps waiting for the car to request for charge and times out. Call to electricity wasn't useful. Went back to house and now charging at 10 km/h4. using umc.

Anyone had similar issue with ecotricity?

7. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P90DL

15 metres should be no problem for the control signal, I have had some 15m cables made for customers and they function just fine.

8. widodh

widodh Model S 85 and 100D

Nope, it work flawless during my trip.

9. jackie

jackie Member

I bought a 13amp plug via amazon and a 3kw plug/socket shuko cable from Karwei and made my own before leaving for the UK. However you could also buy the 13amp plug while in the UK from any of the hardware stores.

10. Ray

Ray Model S res# 1524

I bought yesterday this plug (universele reisstekker set - universele reisadapter, reisstekker, geschikt voor gebruik in geselecteerde land, geschikt voor apparaten met type stekker: c,f, maximaal vermogen: 4000 watt, spanning/stroom: 250 volt/16 ampère, geaard: ja, kleur: blauw.) to connect my UMC in when in case of emergency I need to charge in a normal wall outlet. It can handle 4000 Watt, so I hope that he can charge the Tesla. Offcourse I will tell my car to charge at max 13A, to keep the wall outlet usable for other people :)

(Sorry for the long description of the link)

11. skn

skn Member

Does anyone have an idea how much a charge full 85 kw S will cost if charged at a residential place in UK?

12. PV4EV

PV4EV Member

Very roughly speaking, 85 kwh of energy will cost approx £6 at night time rates, and about £14 at day time rates. ( or approx 7.50 Euros / 17.5 Euros)

This will vary slightly because grid electricity costs vary with location and there will also be some small inefficiencies / losses in the charging process, and depend on exactly how much you are charging up by, but this will only change things by a few percent.

13. mellington

mellington Member

Around £13.50. I tend to use the £4.50/100miles for my comparison with my current car which is about £23/100 miles.

14. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

A full charge from zero range to full means adding around 76kWh into the battery (you can't actually access the full 85kWh; some is reserved).
    Charging is about 90% efficient (though it varies depending on how fast you're doing it).
    My Economy 7 offpeak rate is £0.06 per kWh

So... £5.07.

15. skn

skn Member

Thanks guys!

16. Ray

Ray Model S res# 1524

On friday we will start our holiday in the UK and Ireland. Looking forward to this EV holiday

17. jontracey

jontracey Member

Ray if you need any help from the UK guys let us know, happy to go test out some local chargers if you need to ensure you dont turn up to a broken one

18. Ray

Ray Model S res# 1524

Thanx for the offer. At this moment we already arrived in Ireland. In the UK we have charged only at hotels on zero-Carbon-worldpoints which are 32 A 1 phase, but this is enough when you stay for the night. Now in Ireland we will charge at ESB points, so I think this will work becouse this are 22kWh points. Next week we will go to Scotland, I'm very curious about that.

for interested people we can be followed on tesla2uk.reislogger.nl, it is in Dutch, but maybe UK people like it anyway, and goolgetranslate can help allways.

19. Ray

Ray Model S res# 1524

Update of charging in Ireland.

i've charged in Dublin at the hotel, so no experiance here. After that we went to Galway, here I've charged two times at Retail Centre Galway (headford road), a great point, just 10 minutes walk to the centre. Now we are in Ballina, there are two chargingpoints over here, but neither of them both works. I already ring ESB to let them know this. I have enough to get to Sligo, so we will try furter on tomorrow.

20. skn

skn Member

Good luck mate, do keep us posted.