Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging in the uk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for a good charging point in Glasgow. Now I found a point which has 43 kW (63 A) at the Ikea, does anybody knows if the Tesla Model S can use this power to charge. And does anybody knows how long it will take to fill up the car (I guess 2 hours)? Does anybody knows another point at least 22 kW nearby the city, or is it easy to get on a bus to the centre of Glasgow?

The chargers on this map, that show green pins can charge using AC at around 40kw however it will max at 22wk if you have dual chargers on board your model S. to be clear you must have a European Model S with type 2 socket not a US import

You will need to apply for a card from Ecotricity but they are free and have been posting them to people in Europe frequently

Our Electric Highway - For The Road - Ecotricity

Wido, I see that on some places during our roundtrip through the UK and Ireland I need to use a Ecotricity card to activate the charging point. Therefore I would like to borrow your card from the period august 22 until september 11th. We will make an appointment later on this year. The card will be brought back by me in the weekend of 19-21 september because of the fact I will be in Domburg and nearby you. We will keep contact.

The chargers on this map, that show green pins can charge using AC at around 40kw however it will max at 22wk if you have dual chargers on board your model S. to be clear you must have a European Model S with type 2 socket not a US import

You will need to apply for a card from Ecotricity but they are free and have been posting them to people in Europe frequently

Our Electric Highway - For The Road - Ecotricity
Indeed.

I charged at the Ecotricity locations with 3x26A (due to the temp limitation), so about 19kW. The voltage was usually 247V, so that got me some extra kWs.

You can indeed simply apply and they send you over the card.

Wido, I see that on some places during our roundtrip through the UK and Ireland I need to use a Ecotricity card to activate the charging point. Therefore I would like to borrow your card from the period august 22 until september 11th. We will make an appointment later on this year. The card will be brought back by me in the weekend of 19-21 september because of the fact I will be in Domburg and nearby you. We will keep contact.
No problem! You can also apply for a card yourself. Simply fill in the form on their website, but you can always borrow my second one.

Also see my blog: Middelburg to Wales and back | Widodh

For the people who wants to go to the UK and Ireland. At this moment I have 3 charging cards in The Netherlands for charging at the UK.

CYC (Charge Your Car) (Scotland and mid England/Wales)
ESB (Ireland and North-Ireland)
Ecotricity (Wales en England)

If someone wants to borrow one or more cards for a holiday or trip, please let me know.

I'll take my Type 2 cable with me and a UK domestic to Schuko 13A adapter so I can always use my UMC as a last resort.

Wido, 8 mei gaan we naar Faversham, iets boven Canterburry, en ik vroeg me af waar je de adapter van UK domestic to Schuko 13A gehaald hebt? Kam je met die adapter een hele nacht aan een 13-16A stopcontact hangen of wordt hij dan te warm denk je?

- - - Updated - - -

Jackie, je geeft aan dat je in Folkestone hebt bijgeladen? Is daar dan een oplaadpunt? Ik kan er geen op een kaart vinden, wat voor pas heb je voor dat punt nodig?

Wido, 8 mei gaan we naar Faversham, iets boven Canterburry, en ik vroeg me af waar je de adapter van UK domestic to Schuko 13A gehaald hebt? Kam je met die adapter een hele nacht aan een 13-16A stopcontact hangen of wordt hij dan te warm denk je?
(Keeping this thread in English).

I simply used a 13A adapter from a UK socket to Schuko. I bought one from Swiss and seemed very robust.

It worked just fine with a continues load of 13A for +24 hours.

Anyone else get a home charging questionnaire today? Looks like they want to partner with Chargemaster in the UK. Makes sense, as they are probably the biggest supplier of subsidised home charging points.

Hi,

I am also planning to drive from Amsterdam to UK (in and around London) but maybe to Cambridge as well.

I was wondering about the two cards mentioned most in this thread - Ecotricity and Source London card. Is there any way I can get it from outside UK? For example when I go to Registration Form - For The Road - Ecotricity i see that they accept only UK address. How then would I go about getting the card delivered to NL?

Is anybody in a position to share any of these cards?

Also I saw the mention of CHAdeMO adapter. Tesla NL tells me that CHAdeMO adapters are not available till end of the year. Isn't this the case or has things changed?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, what sort of cable do I need for charging the Tesla in UK? I have the included red adapter (3-phase 400V, 16A) and the Type 2 Mennekes. Are they enough? I have duo-loader option but I guess it won't be of much use?

Hi,

I am also planning to drive from Amsterdam to UK (in and around London) but maybe to Cambridge as well.

I was wondering about the two cards mentioned most in this thread - Ecotricity and Source London card. Is there any way I can get it from outside UK? For example when I go to Registration Form - For The Road - Ecotricity i see that they accept only UK address. How then would I go about getting the card delivered to NL?

Is anybody in a position to share any of these cards?
I have two cards. If you want I can send one to you.

Thanks for the info Jon! So I guess I should be fine with using Type 2 cable and the Ecotriciy, ZeroNet and Source London cards?

Now to figure out how to get them...

- - - Updated - - -

@widodh: Great! I have sent you a PM. Thanks!

Also, what sort of cable do I need for charging the Tesla in UK? I have the included red adapter (3-phase 400V, 16A) and the Type 2 Mennekes. Are they enough? I have duo-loader option but I guess it won't be of much use?

You may find my map below useful !

Thanks to Ecotricity, Ikea and ZCW the free charging infrastructure has improved massively in the past year or so. Ecotricity will shortly be providing a real time status APP which will make the service even more user friendly.

However, in the mean time I put together this personalised map that shows to scale how widespread Roadster compatible charging now is and should be mostly applicable to Model S owners.

Each location shown has Type-2 3phase 22kw and 43kw, or Chademo. Roadsters can use one phase of the T2 chargers or the older 70A HPC network.

Ecotricity Ikea 70a 60a locations May 14.jpg

not too many red or blue sockets here in the UK
Open Charge Map disagrees... plenty of simple and reliable "commando" sockets in the UK...

Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 18.07.02.png

- - - Updated - - -

So I guess I should be fine with using Type 2 cable and the Ecotriciy, ZeroNet and Source London cards?
ZeroNet does not use cards and is usually free if you eat/sleep/play/park at the location :smile: