Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging in the uk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hadn't looked at the Polar Instant network previously although they did fit my home charge point. 13amp, less than 3kw which will be a really expensive charge and barley provide any real millage! Glad there's the SC and cheap home charging which by the end of the year should mean that I can travel in most of the UK without concern.

Tourist experience in UK

Several maps, all carrying a part of the thruth. Too many different charge networks for a tourist. It will improve over time. The worst problem is the lack of superchargers and that there are so few at each location. I have been to the one in London (works, 2 cars capacity) and at the one South of Birmingham (not ready yet but seems to be with capacity for 2 cars only). In Norway the superchargers are mostly of 8 or sometimes 6 cars capacity. Now during vacation season some of these are experiencing cars having to waite up to 15-20 minutes to be able to start charging (Norway has 5000+ model S now). Unless the stations in UK are rapidly expanded there will be mayhem in Britain...

Last edited:
Charging using Ecotricity now. You need a card, or you can call them and ask them to open the charger.
Zero-chargers seems to all be at hotels
Some chargers require you to be UK resident but then be free - Ask your friends to bortom their address maybe?

Charging using Ecotricity now. You need a card, or you can call them and ask them to open the charger.
Zero-chargers seems to all be at hotels
Some chargers require you to be UK resident but then be free - Ask your friends to bortom their address maybe?

I have severAl APO's on my cellphone. I also have now several cards ecotricity, ESB and source card for my roundtrip through UK and Ireland. I also will charge at hotels which will be actived by a button.

plughare
Chargemap
are app's I. Use

I've put the latest ZeroNet map here.

ZeroNet is primarily 7kW (32A single phase) charging and designed for locations where you'll spend a few hours while you eat/sleep/play/park.

No cards are required and most locations are free if you use the facilities (eat at the restaurant, pay for car parking, etc).

When traveling in the UK I only use ZeroNet locations because I can't be bothered with all the different cards and poor reliability of the other networks.

I don't see a searchable map at the link you pointed to
All the data is located in the Open Charge Map database. Browse to here and then use the tab or drop down to reach the settings page and set "Zero Carbon World" as the operator. You can also select more options such as connector type if you wish. When you return to the map page you will then see ZeroNet locations within 100 miles of your chosen location.

If you're just interested in browsing a particular area then IMO the ZeroNet map (here) allows you to see more details quickly by clicking on the locations you're interested in visiting.

If neither of those apps/maps meet your needs then the Open Charge Map data is used in ~20 third party apps (some listed here).

Thanks. Looks like I am in for a bit of struggle. I am planning to base myself a couple of days (short 1-day trips) at my friend's postalcode OX3 8NQ and it looks like the Waitrose in front may be the best bet :(

Last edited:
As depressing as it sounds, your best bet might be just to drive to Wheatley Services by the M40 and charge there at 22kW. The rapid charger there I think might be offline, but I believe the "medium" speed charger at 22kW is working. Worth checking before travelling though!

Also, don't discount plain old 3 pin charging overnight. Even at a safe 10A you'll still pick up range at 6mph so if your friend has offstreet parking and you're there for 12h overnight you'll pick up a very useful 72 miles of range each day without any effort at all.

As depressing as it sounds, your best bet might be just to drive to Wheatley Services by the M40 and charge there at 22kW. The rapid charger there I think might be offline, but I believe the "medium" speed charger at 22kW is working. Worth checking before travelling though!

Also, don't discount plain old 3 pin charging overnight. Even at a safe 10A you'll still pick up range at 6mph so if your friend has offstreet parking and you're there for 12h overnight you'll pick up a very useful 72 miles of range each day without any effort at all.

It is a bit depressing but then beggars can't be choosers I guess, at least for now!

As for the rapid charger - is it even possible to use it on the Tesla S given that we don't have a CHAdeMO adapter?

Do you know what kind of card (if any) I would need for using the rapid/medium charger at the Wheatley service point? It seems to be Ecotricity.

For the 3-pin charging I guess all I would need would be a Schuko adapter to convert EU to UK at 13A rating?

Last edited:
The 43kW AC and 50kW DC at Wheatley Services is offline (red symbol).

However, this location also has a stand alone 22kW AC Type 2 Charging Station and that is live today (blue symbol). You will need a three phase 32A Type 2 to Type 2 cable.

The 43kW AC and 50kW DC at Peartree Services is live (green symbol).

Unfortunately, the Ecotricity map is not always accurate so you should probably ring them on the day you need it :rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 16.13.32.png

Last edited: