Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging in the uk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As Kevin says you can use either Ecotricity DC/AC Fast Chargers (though only at 22kW AC until the CHAdeMO adaptor arrives) or their AC Medium Chargers (also at 22kW AC). The only difference is that the former has a tethered cable and with the latter you need to bring your own Type 2. The medium charger at Wheatley claims to be online.

For overnight charging yes a robust schuko to 13A adaptor should be fine, but I would strongly advise that you manually dial down the current limit (on the charging options menu in the car) to 10A before you start charging, and avoid "standard" household extension leads if at all possible. If you need it and you have the time/opportunity it might be worth building yourself a robust extension lead with a 13A UK plug on one end and a schuko socket on the other.

As Kevin says you can use either Ecotricity DC/AC Fast Chargers (though only at 22kW AC until the CHAdeMO adaptor arrives) or their AC Medium Chargers (also at 22kW AC). The only difference is that the former has a tethered cable and with the latter you need to bring your own Type 2. The medium charger at Wheatley claims to be online.

For overnight charging yes a robust schuko to 13A adaptor should be fine, but I would strongly advise that you manually dial down the current limit (on the charging options menu in the car) to 10A before you start charging, and avoid "standard" household extension leads if at all possible. If you need it and you have the time/opportunity it might be worth building yourself a robust extension lead with a 13A UK plug on one end and a schuko socket on the other.
Thanks for the info. Don't think i will have the time to build an extension. Is there a place/brand in uk I can buy or order one from amazon?

Ok, experience so far. First fast charge using ecotricity worked great at Moto service break. Second try no luck, the charger keeps waiting for the car to request for charge and times out. Call to electricity wasn't useful. Went back to house and now charging at 10 km/h4. using umc.

Anyone had similar issue with ecotricity?

Last edited:
Ok, experience so far. First fast charge using ecotricity worked great at Moto service break. Second try no luck, the charger keeps waiting for the car to request for charge and times out. Call to electricity wasn't useful. Went back to house and now charging at 10 km/h4. using umc.

Anyone had similar issue with ecotricity?
Nope, it work flawless during my trip.

I bought yesterday this plug (universele reisstekker set - universele reisadapter, reisstekker, geschikt voor gebruik in geselecteerde land, geschikt voor apparaten met type stekker: c,f, maximaal vermogen: 4000 watt, spanning/stroom: 250 volt/16 ampère, geaard: ja, kleur: blauw.) to connect my UMC in when in case of emergency I need to charge in a normal wall outlet. It can handle 4000 Watt, so I hope that he can charge the Tesla. Offcourse I will tell my car to charge at max 13A, to keep the wall outlet usable for other people :)

(Sorry for the long description of the link)

Does anyone have an idea how much a charge full 85 kw S will cost if charged at a residential place in UK?

Very roughly speaking, 85 kwh of energy will cost approx £6 at night time rates, and about £14 at day time rates. ( or approx 7.50 Euros / 17.5 Euros)

This will vary slightly because grid electricity costs vary with location and there will also be some small inefficiencies / losses in the charging process, and depend on exactly how much you are charging up by, but this will only change things by a few percent.

A full charge from zero range to full means adding around 76kWh into the battery (you can't actually access the full 85kWh; some is reserved).
Charging is about 90% efficient (though it varies depending on how fast you're doing it).
My Economy 7 offpeak rate is £0.06 per kWh

So... £5.07.

Thanx for the offer. At this moment we already arrived in Ireland. In the UK we have charged only at hotels on zero-Carbon-worldpoints which are 32 A 1 phase, but this is enough when you stay for the night. Now in Ireland we will charge at ESB points, so I think this will work becouse this are 22kWh points. Next week we will go to Scotland, I'm very curious about that.

for interested people we can be followed on tesla2uk.reislogger.nl, it is in Dutch, but maybe UK people like it anyway, and goolgetranslate can help allways.

Update of charging in Ireland.

i've charged in Dublin at the hotel, so no experiance here. After that we went to Galway, here I've charged two times at Retail Centre Galway (headford road), a great point, just 10 minutes walk to the centre. Now we are in Ballina, there are two chargingpoints over here, but neither of them both works. I already ring ESB to let them know this. I have enough to get to Sligo, so we will try furter on tomorrow.

Update of charging in Ireland.

i've charged in Dublin at the hotel, so no experiance here. After that we went to Galway, here I've charged two times at Retail Centre Galway (headford road), a great point, just 10 minutes walk to the centre. Now we are in Ballina, there are two chargingpoints over here, but neither of them both works. I already ring ESB to let them know this. I have enough to get to Sligo, so we will try furter on tomorrow.
Good luck mate, do keep us posted.