Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Tohoku

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking of replacing my getting-old Land Rover with new Tesla Model X. Although I am not sure whether it makes sense with my driving patterns.

I drive mostly on weekends to go outside of Tokyo. About twice a month I drive to my house in Aizu Wakamatsu, which is 300km away.
Obviously I need to charge somewhere during the trip. What would be the best option?

Install another wall connector? Use (very slow) mobile connector? Use CHAdeMo somewhere on the way? Or wait until more superchargers are coming to Tohoku area?

Thanks!

Reactions: hiroshiy
You'll want an NCS (Nihon charging system) card to use CHAdeMO (pink elephant) where a Supercharger is not available or a hotel trickle charge overnight (green elephant). Tesla currently has a card, but I'm not sure how much longer they will support it. Read my blog (linked in a thread below). There's a long post where I document a trip north to Sapporo.

I charge only at Chademo or Superchargers and so far had no problems getting around Tokyo or neighboring areas. Trip to Nagoya with chademo chargers pretty much at every highway rest area was no problem at all. Jay is right, chargers in Japan are so commonplace it's light years ahead of everybody else.

I am thinking of replacing my getting-old Land Rover with new Tesla Model X. Although I am not sure whether it makes sense with my driving patterns.

I drive mostly on weekends to go outside of Tokyo. About twice a month I drive to my house in Aizu Wakamatsu, which is 300km away.
Obviously I need to charge somewhere during the trip. What would be the best option?

Install another wall connector? Use (very slow) mobile connector? Use CHAdeMo somewhere on the way? Or wait until more superchargers are coming to Tohoku area?

Thanks!
Hi, @arkadiyk , do you have charging at home in Tokyo and Aizu Wakamatsu? If so, and of you get 90kWh or 100kWh models you can go 300km in one charge except in winter. That is by far the cheapest option.

In winter you probably need 390km worth of range (called typical range) to go 300km, so if you drive conservatively with 100kWh model it can be done without charging. With 90kWh it'sgoing to be cutting close.

To charge on the way you will need one charge for 30 minutes at any of the rest stops on the highway. You currently have eight CHAdeMO equipped rest stops (service areas and parking areas) in between, so after passing the halfway point, maybe Kamikawachi SA or Nasukogen SA get in to the SA and if the charger is available charge there for 30 minutes. If it's occupied you can skip and try next. EVsmart will tell you how much km you need to go to the next SA with chargers.

The cost. If you charge as a guest you will pay 1500yen for 30 minutes.
ビジター充電パスワード発行|ジャパンチャージネットワーク
Bookmark this site to pay and activate the charger. Don't call the number on the charger as it will take a very long time to connect. Once you try, you can complete the payment in one minute.

You also have an option to subscribe to a charging card. Tesla currently charges 3250yen per month for the card, and you pay 450yen per 30 minutes. So you can save like 1000yen per a 30 minute session. If you go there a few times a month then subscribing to the card makes financial sense. If you have other questions please post.