Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Incident at YYZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you press the release button on a J1772 or the Tesla connector it will stop the charging and illuminate the charge port. Releasing it will either resume the charging and indicate that with the flashing green port, or show that the charging is complete. I have used that on occasion to check if someone is hogging a spot and hoping that they have the Tesla App alert them that I touched their charge cable.

Yes, that will work for us...it's not the other Tesla drivers that would likely be disconnecting another Tesla mid charge (because they know about this method)...it's all of the other brands of EV drivers I'm concerned about.

On a more serious note, as a new Tesla owner, how worried should I be about other people potentially damaging my charge port, given that the car locks the cable? I realize with the J1772 adapter it is the adapter that is locked in, so they can easily remove the cable (if they are paying attention) but what if they just grab the end and yank?

On a more serious note, as a new Tesla owner, how worried should I be about other people potentially damaging my charge port, given that the car locks the cable? I realize with the J1772 adapter it is the adapter that is locked in, so they can easily remove the cable (if they are paying attention) but what if they just grab the end and yank?
It’s likely not going anywhere. Unless a huge tug and the lock breaks. But if someone is trying to inflict damage, a kick to the rear quarter would likely be a more expensive repair.