Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Incident at YYZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to Toronto Pearson Airport ( YYZ ) terminal 1 to pick up friends. To my surprise, there were 10 ChargePoint spaces in the garage right at the level 3 bridge to terminal entrance. Decided to park there and charge. Got the J1772 adapter and credit card worked and charging commenced. 30A at 240V. While waiting in the terminal I checked on the App and it was charging.
When we came back to the car I saw that the charging cable was disconnected from my car and back in the charger. My adapter was still in the charge port. WTF?! The person who did this knew what they were doing because the J1772 plug was not completely inserted so that the charging time continued. TeslaFi statistics show that the car was charging for 24 minutes and then was idle for 47 minutes.
What kind of moron would do this? Was it somebody who was mad that there were electric vehicle charging spots in prime spaces? Or worse, was it another electric vehicle owner who tried to get a free charge?

That's unfortunate. Though a Chargepoint card, CC, or app is needed to activate those stations there is no fee (other than for parking).

Your theory about someone resenting EVs is plausible. Here is a video (not mine) of a someone filmed unplugging another person's Tesla in Montreal.

Went to Toronto Pearson Airport ( YYZ ) terminal 1 to pick up friends. To my surprise, there were 10 ChargePoint spaces in the garage right at the level 3 bridge to terminal entrance. Decided to park there and charge. Got the J1772 adapter and credit card worked and charging commenced. 30A at 240V. While waiting in the terminal I checked on the App and it was charging.
When we came back to the car I saw that the charging cable was disconnected from my car and back in the charger. My adapter was still in the charge port. WTF?! The person who did this knew what they were doing because the J1772 plug was not completely inserted so that the charging time continued. TeslaFi statistics show that the car was charging for 24 minutes and then was idle for 47 minutes.
What kind of moron would do this? Was it somebody who was mad that there were electric vehicle charging spots in prime spaces? Or worse, was it another electric vehicle owner who tried to get a free charge?
The Tesla App can send you a notification when charging is interrupted. Did you have that feature selected?

No but the adaptor stays locked to the car. So no danger of also losing your adaptor.

Anyone tried using a charging lock to avoid incidents like this?

CapturePro Charging Lock for Tesla Model S
A1B5B840-F0C9-4667-9989-16BDA4034860.png

If chargepoint was charging you money by the minute I'd call them or email and ask for an adjustment of fees. 47 minutes of idle at 3rd party network rates doesn't sound cheap.

So I guess the J1772 adaptor doesn't lock the cable in?
I wonder if AP 2 cameras on the side of the car could capture any indiscrimations from people!
the adaptor is locked into the car but the actual charger is not locked onto the adaptor, on some units there is a small hole on the charger where you could put a small padlock to secure the connection.
the cameras are not aimed in that direction nor are they operative while parked.

I would not use that charging lock. I would rather have someone unplug me than decide they need to key my car instead.

If you're a Chargepoint member you can elect to receive a text message when charging slows considerably or stops. This is better than the Tesla notification which doesn't alert you to anomalies like the current dropping suddenly from 125A to 8A at a CHAdeMO station.

As previously mentioned there is no fee to use any of the Chargepoint units (including the ten CHAdeMO ones) at the Toronto Pearson airport.

Happened to me a few times in my office parking garage (it's a large tower so people don't know each other). One time I come back to a volt charging on my dime... The guy was there, he told me he unplugged because my car wasn't charging... how would he know? Then called me an asshole...

• Funny
Reactions: Struja
I've been unplugged at a "free of charge" L2 charge station. It was a Leaf driver, who said "your car was finished charging because I didn't see any lights on in the dashboard area. I informed him that I wasn't finished charging, and their are no lights to see on a locked Tesla to show that the car is finished charging. I advised him that in the future, he should look at the charging station for a light which would show that the charge station was still in use.

This is probably a good idea as it may stop some unfortunate incidences (as more EVs penetrate the marketplace) in the future.
If you press the release button on a J1772 or the Tesla connector it will stop the charging and illuminate the charge port. Releasing it will either resume the charging and indicate that with the flashing green port, or show that the charging is complete. I have used that on occasion to check if someone is hogging a spot and hoping that they have the Tesla App alert them that I touched their charge cable.

If you press the release button on a J1772 or the Tesla connector it will stop the charging and illuminate the charge port. Releasing it will either resume the charging and indicate that with the flashing green port, or show that the charging is complete. I have used that on occasion to check if someone is hogging a spot and hoping that they have the Tesla App alert them that I touched their charge cable.

I hate this method. It interrupts charging, and if the owner of the car has their app set up for notifications, they will receive an alert. On superchargers it can even shift priority to the other car.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe