TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging incident in Norway Jan 8, 2016

Discussion in 'News' started by Matias, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Matias

Matias Active Member

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TeslaOwnersClubNorway/permalink/971988979550202/

Google translation

"Charged today early Lier Northbound whereupon charging socket, and parts of the cap has melted / decayed while the vehicle charged. The fuse on the SC went, thankfully, and charging halt. Some others who have experienced this and who knows what could be causing this? Now running around in Swedish borrow tanks while I wait for that Tesla will repair the damage"

2. Matias

Matias Active Member

Hopefully earlier fire and this are related. Now Tesla has better changes to find the cause.

3. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

There is a picture in that thread of a connector at that SC station taken last summer with, what looks like, damage around the contacts. Could be related.

4. vgrinshpun

vgrinshpun Active Member

Unlikely.

First, the incidents are different - fire due to an unknown cause vs. proper operation of the SC protection equipment in reaction to what seem to be a damaged connector.

Second, in the case of fire police ruled out malfunctioning Supercharger. So if the cause of fire in the first case is similar to this incident, there would be similar proper operation of the protection device (fuse). So if the protection device would've operated properly, it would've prevented fire, which obviously not what happened. On another hand, we can't conclude that protection device did not operate, because of the police investigation eliminated Supercharger malfunctioning.

5. Matias

Matias Active Member

I really find it hard to believe, that the local police could by certainty rule out SC malfunction as a cause.

6. vgrinshpun

vgrinshpun Active Member

May be read their communications posted in the corresponding thread?

7. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

This is probably completely unrelated to the fire. But it may be that Tesla needs to decrease the interval between each inspection/service of the superchargers.

I assume Tesla has set the interval based on experiences in California. That means they might get a surprise in Norway. The plastic becomes more brittle at lower temperatures, and materials shrink leading to issues with mechanical tolerances. Thus it wouldn't at all surprise me if the Superchargers are subjected to significantly more wear and tear here in Norway. (And Canada, etc.)

8. Carspotter Daily

Hopefully the tesla/supercharger involved in this and the fire sent data to Tesla.. Could be the only way to figure these out

9. Right_Said_Fred

Right_Said_Fred Model S - Sig. 283 EU

If everyone would take care of properly hanging back the Supercharger-cable, instead of dropping it on the ground, that would already make a difference. I've seen a lot of damaged ones already.

10. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

One at Tejon Ranch has apparently been dropped. This and trash found left there made me wonder what we are becoming.
    ~Larry

11. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member

Sounds like an opportunity for an entrepreneur. Since the car and supercharger communicate (charge port door opens on car), why can't someone design a protective sleeve for the charger plug that retracts as it's inserted into the car?

That way it can protect the connector plug if it's dropped when removed. It could even warm up the plug in extreme cold weather to keep it from premature wear and tear.

12. bwa

bwa Member

I am from California, and I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT, because I have also lived in NYC, Iowa, Oregon, and Puerto Rico, where the weather is VERY different. Plus, I like the idea of something resilient enough to be shot into space. Obviously, Elon's other ventures understand extreme temperature operations. So, if indeed this failure type is a bunch of gun-ho California engineers who are blindingly stupid about other locations' weather, I would be very pissed off at me sitting at home not having a job today while a bunch of overpaid idiots over there in Palo Alto and Fremont are sipping their drinks and costing their company untold amounts by being dumb about a bit of normally cold weather in a few nontropical climates.

Having said all that, if it's a problem as simple as lack of attention to weather, that means a rather simple amount of weather-appropriate engineering can commence and the situation resolved. I almost hope it's so dumb I hate it, since it would be relatively simple to remedy.

13. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Very good idea. It would also help in my situation today where the temperature dropped drastically and the rain turned to freezing rain and iced up my HPWC connector and the charge port door area. Had to clear the ice and manually push the door closed.

14. drinkerofkoolaid

drinkerofkoolaid Active Member

#14 drinkerofkoolaid, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    Is it possible the Tesla owner intentionally damaged their Tesla in a way that prevented safety features from working? There are a lot of facts about the incident that don't make sense, or sound fishy.

Where is the owner? Are there any comments from the owner? Someone on here commented that the person took drivers 2-3 days before the incident.

15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

This is a duplicate thread, and the police have already cleared the Supercharger as no being at fault.

16. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

No, this is a thread about an another incident that happened one week after the fire.

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong thread. This thread is not about the fire on 1. jan. 2016.

17. Cobbler

Cobbler Member

Just wondering: is there a kind of interlock/switch/sensor available to see if the plug is completely in the socket while supercharging? Can you remove the plug while supercharging is busy?

I've seen 380V plugs failing because of this (spectacular sparks/smoke/...) because operators removed the plugs while a machine was still drawing power.
    16a_380v_3p+e_Ip44_Industrial_Plug_Male_Plug.jpg

18. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

The plugs (for Supercharger or UMC/HPWC) are locked in to the charge port by the car while in use. In order to remove it, you have to press the "unlock" button (or via phone/console), which also stops the power draw.

There is no practical way to remove a supercharger cable while current is flowing.

19. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Imagines a slightly less powerful version of...

CA_FUEL_VFX_08.jpg