Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging inconsistencies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, did you mean to type 90 or 190? If it's 183 vs 90 I'd contact your service center.

But if it's 183 vs 190 I wouldn't worry about it. State of charge is always an estimate, and 4% isn't that large of a variation. This is part of why I prefer to display state of charge as percent, instead of rated miles. Seeing 183 or 190 creates an illusion of precision that just ain't so. Even percentage points are probably a little too fine-grained, but it's an improvement.

That said there could be a number of factors involved. Just to mention a couple, you might find that the variation correlates with the temperature swing between the time when charging finishes and when you get into the vehicle. I often see my car charge to 90% by 03:00, then by 09:00 it's at 91% or 89%. Lower numbers seem to correlate with cooler mornings.

Or... is it possible that "smart" pre-conditioning is enabled? I think it's on by default, but many owners prefer to disable it.