Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging indicator for public chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering if anyone has come up with a way to indicate when a charge is complete when using public charging stations. It would be nice to have this on the Model S so that other EV owners know when it is okay to unhook the charger. Right now, only certain charging stations have indicators when the charge is complete.

I am wondering if anyone has come up with a way to indicate when a charge is complete when using public charging stations. It would be nice to have this on the Model S so that other EV owners know when it is okay to unhook the charger. Right now, only certain charging stations have indicators when the charge is complete.

Obviously for ChargePoint or Sema you can get text/e-mail notifications through your account to know when charging is complete (or you get disconnected). Otherwise search for VisibleTesla, a great Java app written for the Model S. If you leave the app running on a computer (presumably a secure computer at home/work), and logged into your TM account, and set up certain parameters plus set up SMS notification, it can notify you about lots of things (state of charge, disconnect, etc) on any EVSE (commercial, NEMA 14-50, etc).

I had been thinking for a while that all charging stations should have a standardized "I am available" light on top to show when you should be able to use it. Just like how Taxi cabs have a light on the roof to tell pedestrians when they are available.

Not just a little (hard to see) LED somewhere on the front panel, but a relatively bright light on the top. Maybe it just pulses quickly once every few seconds so it doesn't use a lot of power.

Obviously for ChargePoint or Sema you can get text/e-mail notifications through your account to know when charging is complete (or you get disconnected). Otherwise search for VisibleTesla, a great Java app written for the Model S. If you leave the app running on a computer (presumably a secure computer at home/work), and logged into your TM account, and set up certain parameters plus set up SMS notification, it can notify you about lots of things (state of charge, disconnect, etc) on any EVSE (commercial, NEMA 14-50, etc).

I think you misunderstood the intent. We have had experiences where non-MS EV drivers are unplugging our cars before our charge is complete, maybe because they don't know if our charge is complete. On the Leafs, they have the lights on the dashboard to tell others that their charge is complete. Of course, having something like that doesn't necessarily mean that those drivers won't still unplug us before our charge is up.

Something as simple as picking up one of these from any office supply store would help other EV's know--just tape a paper over "Will return" that says "Okay to unplug after:" or "Please don't unplug before:"

clock.JPG

Something as simple as picking up one of these from any office supply store would help other EV's know--just tape a paper over "Will return" that says "Okay to unplug after:" or "Please don't unplug before:"

View attachment 44847

I do have a card that akikiki made that I can write down when they can unplug me. I haven't had a problem. Just looking solutions for others at public charging stations.

I think you misunderstood the intent. We have had experiences where non-MS EV drivers are unplugging our cars before our charge is complete, maybe because they don't know if our charge is complete. On the Leafs, they have the lights on the dashboard to tell others that their charge is complete. Of course, having something like that doesn't necessarily mean that those drivers won't still unplug us before our charge is up.

Most public charges I've seen (chargepoint, blink, and standalone units like Clipper Creek) have a light on them or lcd display to show charging status. It's really just SuperChargers that don't have any indicators.

The stations you've seen with no indicators, were they very old and unsophisticated? Or is it those Volta stations that are all about serving ads?

For superchargers, you can press the release button on the handle and it will turn on the charge port LEDs, so you can see if it's done.

You can not unplug it, but at least you know if the shared stall is going to be 100% or shared.

Oh, that's interesting! and you can sort of tell the state of charge by how fast the green is blinking, right? fast blink = low charge (and therefore sucking down more SpC power).