Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging infrastructure NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Hoping I could get some thoughts/comments on the current charging infrastructure in NSW.

Having spent time in HK I would consider that country to have a double-edged sword when it comes to charging. Certainly a high number of superchargers in comparison with land size, but equally a disproportionate number of Tesla owners resulting in queues at many superchargers.

My assumption would be that NSW has quite the opposite - few superchargers/fast chargers, but rarely any queues. Would that be accurate?

As a side note, I did email NRMA yesterday to suggested they consider the Blue Mountains as a fast charging location. Would be very handy for those that don’t want to head to Bathurst but could do with a top up before heading back to Sydney.

Thanks.

With the exception of the Broadway Sydney and Richmond Melbourne Superchargers, you will often be the only Tesla at a Supercharger. This may change from Christmas this year when we are joined by a bunch of Model 3 owners but it will be a few years before there will be congestion even on high traffic days like Boxing Day.
For the Bathurst trip, There is now an NRMA CHAdeMO charger in Bathurst, but you will need an adapter.

Thanks, good to know.

Yes, happy there are a couple of options in Bathurst, but would be ideal to have something in the Blue Mountains for those not driving straight through (eg. Sydney return day trips).
No DC fast charging but The Hydro Majestic in Medlow Bath is a nice place for lunch in each direction and they have a Tesla Destination charger that will give you about 60 Kmh recharge rate.

Not NSW I know, but like Broadway, the Brisbane supercharger has 4 stalls and is often full. They are in a cramped location and would probably love to move to a bigger one. I imagine this is will get more common as Model 3 is taken up.

With the exception of the Broadway Sydney and Richmond Melbourne Superchargers, you will often be the only Tesla at a Supercharger. This may change from Christmas this year when we are joined by a bunch of Model 3 owners but it will be a few years before there will be congestion even on high traffic days like Boxing Day.
For the Bathurst trip, There is now an NRMA CHAdeMO charger in Bathurst, but you will need an adapter.
But better to use the Supercharger in Bathurst I would have thought?

Hi all

Hoping I could get some thoughts/comments on the current charging infrastructure in NSW.

Having spent time in HK I would consider that country to have a double-edged sword when it comes to charging. Certainly a high number of superchargers in comparison with land size, but equally a disproportionate number of Tesla owners resulting in queues at many superchargers.

My assumption would be that NSW has quite the opposite - few superchargers/fast chargers, but rarely any queues. Would that be accurate?

As a side note, I did email NRMA yesterday to suggested they consider the Blue Mountains as a fast charging location. Would be very handy for those that don’t want to head to Bathurst but could do with a top up before heading back to Sydney.

Thanks.
+1 for DC charging in Blue Mountains.
My number one wishlist is for something between Sydney and Newcastle though. Selfish of course...

My number one wishlist is for something between Sydney and Newcastle though. Selfish of course...

It makes sense though. With the first Tesla supercharger out of Sydney being past Newcastle there is an obvious gap there. Also nothing between Sydney and Tamworth at the moment either, so before the New England Highway turn-off would make sense.

Good potential for an ultra-rapid site here, @timpoo!

I'd also add - rather than buy the the CHAdeMO adapter - try and get the upcoming CCS Combo 2 (CCS2) adapter (and required car charging circuit upgrade) from Tesla.

The NRMA chargers support both and CCS2 can support a higher charge rate, although the NRMA uses the Veefil-RT which is limited to 50kW.

Not sure if NRMA will start rolling out the Veefil-PK which can do up to 350kW.

Shane.