Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging infrastructure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<RANT> I asked my car to point me to the closest supercharger and it told me to go to Hillsdale in San Mateo California and started to condition the battery. I arrived to find all positions filled and two cars waiting.

Why isn’t there some way for the navigation app to tell you the supercharger is full and not to bother?</RANT>

Did the number of stalls free show up on the screen when you chose it. ?
They put that info on there to avoid what just happened to you.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and nwdiver
As far as hotels having charging, do hotels sell gas? So I don't think they will sell or have charging when EVs are commonplace. I have not been to Ca in an EV but traveling to the East Coast, several gas station companies have installed have Superchargers and are planning to add other charging. They profit because they are a convenience store that people stop at to refill their ICE and EVs. Apartment charging may get better if owners can make enough $ on it. Otherwise I think apartment dwellers will have to keep going to the 'gas station' like they do now. But people like me that charge at home will probably never go to a station to charge so there won't be crowding and I think there will be fewer stations overall.

<RANT> I asked my car to point me to the closest supercharger and it told me to go to Hillsdale in San Mateo California and started to condition the battery. I arrived to find all positions filled and two cars waiting.

Why isn’t there some way for the navigation app to tell you the supercharger is full and not to bother?</RANT>
What M109Rider said and I’m sure the car is prioritizing getting the charge it needs over having to wait for a spot. And even if there were spaces available when you set the navigation to go there, things can change (chargers can fill up or empty out) while your driving.

When chargers are filled up, it would be nice to have a “wait list” so those waiting get a space in the order they arrive. Probably too much trouble to program that into the system.

Do you have the latest updates? If so, you’ll see on the map the location of Superchargers and the number of Superchargers available. I suppose if you only use voice control to navigate there, it won’t warn you. But certainly when you’re in range you should see that bright red number on your map.