Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging infrastructure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reflecting back on my 1.5 years owning my model 3, charging at home is infinitely more convenient than going to the gas station weekly. The one BUT to this statement is finding chargers when traveling. Hotels and cities really need to step up their game and expand charging capacity. I’ve found the average large hotel may have two chargers available. Your average shopping center may have 2-5 maximum.

If our state really plans to ban ICE sales in the next decade, this is a huge area that need improvement!

Reactions: kayak1 and COS Blue
I’ve heard there will be a national push to have a well developed charging network for all EVs. Recent Tesla charger development with Target have required another form of EV charger to also be installed and turned on at the same time as the Tesla chargers (at least here in the PNW). I think we’re in the tipping point where EVs will be more supported.

At least all the Supercharger stations seem to have 8 or multiples of 8 chargers. I was interested in a Rivian, but the DCFC network is still mostly populated with a hodgepodge of a couple pedestals at different charging rates. If a couple are down, you're out of luck. Things are improving, but they not only have to add stations, but they have to add more pedestals per station to reach the level of Tesla's superchargers.

Reactions: M109Rider
hotels/motels will add more chargers when they think it will bring in more business. (personally, I always patronize places with chargers.) In the age of COVID, and occupancy rates <50%, hotels are in no shape for capex right now.

Also, don't forget that battery range continues to increase (significantly).....

If our state really plans to ban ICE sales in the next decade, this is a huge area that need improvement!

I find it hard to believe we'll be anywhere close to the amount of charging stations needed should ICE be banned, needing 15+ minutes to charge. I drive by the long lines at Costco gas frequently (pre M3, I would fill up during off peak times). I can't imagine all of those cars, minus the ones who can/will charge at home, lining up for a charge.

I’m sure there will be ICE cars for 10+ years after the ban because people will get them while they can or buy out of state. But, if the whole world were to ban ICE cars in 10 years, they would eventually dwindle to just those who can keep the cars repaired. They will all be classic cars then.

Tesla built their Supercharger network starting in 2012 and the US is pretty well covered (because of the range of the cars - other EVs would need chargers closer together). When businesses see charging as an income stream, they will probably start putting them in their parking lots. And Shell, Chevron, and BP are already starting to add EV charging.

Reactions: puckpurnell
That's ~90% of the cars... ~90% of charging is done at home. And of the ~10% that's not done at home ~50% of that could probably be just L2 where ever it is that you're visiting or staying.

Fast charging should only be ~5% of charging.
With only about 1 million EVs on the road, and most are home owners, that make sense. Once another 10,20, or 50 million on the road there will be bottle necks. Charging stations or the grid. California sees the bottleneck already on hot days.

Yeah
The problem on the road is that hotels that have chargers are rare, and the ones that do don’t guarantee availability. Basically I’ve never trust that I can get a charge overnight, and that significantly affects road planning and scheduling.

secondly, the 3rd party chargers are often nonfunctional, or require non trivial ways to activate. they aren’t as easy as gas stations where you can just use a debit/credit payment for 1-time-use.

Especially in Europe where many trips consist of cross border travel, it is a bigger impediment to install foreign language apps, set new up accounts, etc

Reactions: KenC
Especially in Europe where many trips consist of cross border travel, it is a bigger impediment to install foreign language apps, set new up accounts, etc

It's not quite so bad in Europe. With one or two charging cards and apps (EnBW and Maingau) you get around quite well, not only in Germany. Add two or three more for almost total coverage.

It is clearly not as convenient as the Tesla Supercharger network, but it is workable. The biggest problem in Europe is the large fraction of defective chargers.

With only about 1 million EVs on the road, and most are home owners, that make sense. Once another 10,20, or 50 million on the road there will be bottle necks. Charging stations or the grid. California sees the bottleneck already on hot days.

If I lived in an apartment rather than a home, I don't think I'd have seriously considered buying my Model 3. Even the newer apartment buildings don't seem to have good options for renters; maybe 1-2 charging stations for the whole building.

If I lived in an apartment rather than a home, I don't think I'd have seriously considered buying my Model 3. Even the newer apartment buildings don't seem to have good options for renters; maybe 1-2 charging stations for the whole building.
Ironically most apartment dwellers (with outside parking) here in the frozen north are all set, as we have 15A block heater circuits that could easily be swapped to a 6-15 plug for EV charging.

Tell that to Elon who has offered it up repeatedly. The patents are open.

Tesla might let other companies use its Supercharger network

I realize he already stated he would open it to anyone. It would be a new revenue stream for him also. However, this is currently a huge advantage, and opening it up would have consequences. Only he would know how much.

It’s important to note; that he also opened up his patents as well. However, they come with restrictions, that thus far, make them less of a viable option, for most to take advantage of.

Who knows what restrictions, or costs he has attached to supercharging for third party users. ?

I for one, don’t want it opened up. We have very few instances of line ups at superchargers here in Canada. Prefer to keep it that way. :)

Reactions: chrstna4
<RANT> I asked my car to point me to the closest supercharger and it told me to go to Hillsdale in San Mateo California and started to condition the battery. I arrived to find all positions filled and two cars waiting.

Why isn’t there some way for the navigation app to tell you the supercharger is full and not to bother?</RANT>