Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Interrupted, Car Won't Start

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I plugged my car in for a charge. This morning I noticed on the app that the charging was interrupted slightly before it was to the set charging level (stopped at 265 miles instead of 275 miles). I found that the circuit breaker had tripped and therefore the charger was not active. I restored the power to the circuit and the charger lit up but the charging light on the car did not come on. I was not able to disconnect the charging cable nor was I able to start the car. Inside the car I was getting a series of messages flashing on the screen: Unable to charge, unplug and try again; Cannot maintain vehicle power car may stop driving or shut down; car needs service unable to charge. I called tesla and they had me reboot the screen. They also had me shut down the whole power system and turn it back on by opening the door or pressing on the break. (note it was making a whining noise). When none of this worked the plug was disconnected by using the emergency release in the trunk. Since the car would not start a flat bed was sent to get it to the dealer. Before the car was towed I tried again to start it (roughly an hour later). This time it seemed like it would start since the steering wheel moved into place. I also was a green flashing message that the car was powering up and to wait. That said, nothing ever came on so the car was towed.

I am pretty frustrated with this car as I have had a number of issues: AC not working, phone key works intermittently, phone opens car but won't start car, phone echo on bluetooth calls, steering column won't automatically adjust when starting car. The AC and steering column issue have been fixed. The phone key was so bad at one point that none of the service guys could get their phones to work either.

This may not be the car for me. I love driving it but it is pretty frustrating to have so many issues.

Last night I plugged my car in for a charge. This morning I noticed on the app that the charging was interrupted slightly before it was to the set charging level (stopped at 265 miles instead of 275 miles). I found that the circuit breaker had tripped and therefore the charger was not active. I restored the power to the circuit and the charger lit up but the charging light on the car did not come on. I was not able to disconnect the charging cable nor was I able to start the car. Inside the car I was getting a series of messages flashing on the screen: Unable to charge, unplug and try again; Cannot maintain vehicle power car may stop driving or shut down; car needs service unable to charge. I called tesla and they had me reboot the screen. They also had me shut down the whole power system and turn it back on by opening the door or pressing on the break. (note it was making a whining noise). When none of this worked the plug was disconnected by using the emergency release in the trunk. Since the car would not start a flat bed was sent to get it to the dealer. Before the car was towed I tried again to start it (roughly an hour later). This time it seemed like it would start since the steering wheel moved into place. I also was a green flashing message that the car was powering up and to wait. That said, nothing ever came on so the car was towed.

I am pretty frustrated with this car as I have had a number of issues: AC not working, phone key works intermittently, phone opens car but won't start car, phone echo on bluetooth calls, steering column won't automatically adjust when starting car. The AC and steering column issue have been fixed. The phone key was so bad at one point that none of the service guys could get their phones to work either.

This may not be the car for me. I love driving it but it is pretty frustrating to have so many issues.
Sorry to hear about your issues. What's your VIN? Just curious if you had an earlier build or one of the more recent builds.

Pete, how many times have you had trouble with your computer or cellphone? Or for that matter, most electronic devices. Your few glitches will be worked out. Think of all of the other maintenance items you will not have to worry about compared to a gas car or hybrid. Think about all of the parts and electronics in these cars that have to work in concert together as well as the software and updates. I realize you are fresh off from a flatbed tow and that aggravation, but hopefully you will see the bigger picture and should have fewer glitches. Many new cars of different makes have glitches to work though.

Last edited:
They could be worked out but not being able to access the car and/or getting in but can't shift to drive or reverse without some kind of delay is annoying. It seems that they really blew it by relying on bluetooth. I'd pay extra for a keyfob. The loaner I currently have (had have had many times already), a model S, works great. I don't like the car as much as the model 3, but at least I know I can get in it and drive away when I want to.

Go for buyback ..and have them build you new one..there are few examples of that on TMC already

Pete, how many times have you had trouble with your computer or cellphone? Or for that matter, most electronic devices. Your few glitches will be worked out. Think of all of the other maintenance items you will not have to worry about compared to a gas car or hybrid. Think about all of the parts and electronics in these cars that have to work in concert together as well as the software and updates. I realize you are fresh off from a flatbed tow and that aggravation, but hopefully you will see the bigger picture and should have fewer glitches. Many new cars of different makes have glitches to work though.

I also mostly disagree with this. These are significant problems resulting in a $55,000 car leaving its driver stranded and the car towed. Unacceptable as the number of these reports is growing.

Go for buyback ..and have them build you new one..there are few examples of that on TMC already

Hmmm....had not been aware of that. I did let the service guys today know that I will need to look into that option though as I am thoroughly dissatisfied. They understood and but did not offer any sort of advice on how that might work. The service department has been wonderful, but the car itself is problematic.

I will search but do you know of any specific threads or circumstances where a buyback occurred?