Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging interrupted... High temp error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like Tesla.
You haven't yet tempered your expectations.
A reply to an email in less than 3 weeks? Not going to happen.
A customer service rep to answer your phone call? Not a chance.
They still can't afford to hire back all the customer service people they let go of a year ago. You would be tempted to believe that they could afford to put an emphasis on customer service, seeing how tesla is now valued higher than Toyota, but alas....
Welcome to the future!

Sounds like Tesla.
They still can't afford to hire back all the customer service people they let go of a year ago. You would be tempted to believe that they could afford to put an emphasis on customer service, seeing how tesla is now valued higher than Toyota, but alas....
Welcome to the future!
Thanks for your reply. Agreed, I think it is unrealistic to ask a profitable fortune company to respond to its customers within a reasonable time frame.
It appears that I might be able to get through on the line. I will inform the forum in a couple of days if I was successful or not in the hope that I can help someone else.

Sounds like Tesla.
Welcome to the future!

While I agree that's probably generally the case, the home charging folks are in a different league. They picked up within a few rings, I had a friendly, competent person help with my request, I got an email within a few hours asking to confirm shipping addresses, and I got my replacement unit in 2 weeks instead of the "up to 4" they quoted.

As promised, I wanted to circle with the group to share my experience. Thanks to many of you, I was able get to a successful outcome.
First, let me say the information provided here are more useful than Tesla’s own Customer Service. A couple of days before my post, I had called Tesla’s 800 Customer Service number, which in turn gave me another number to speak with their Energy Department and email to report my issue. That is where everything went wrong. I.e. no reply, no one to answer the line...
Finally, when I used a number that was posted here, I was able to get through and talk to a couple of knowledgeable and pleasant folks. They helped me with the firmware update. With work from home, I do not use my car as much any more. I waited until i had the chance to recharge a couple of times. The issue appears to have been resolved. No more red lights, no more charge failure errors.
Thanks to all of you!

Reactions: Garnetter
I had the same red three blinking error messages and my Gen 3 wall charger keeps stopping working as a charger for my new model S The initial local Tesla rep said it would be electrical install issue. I knew that was not case cause the certified electrician had installed a 60 amp breaker and it was working fine for six weeks. I got connected thru some national wall charging service Tesla customer service. Full disclosure , was on hold for an hour before someone answered phone. But wow was it worthwhile. The Tesla wall charging expert was SUPER helpful. He walked me thru steps to get WiFI connectivity to the wall charger. Then the steps to configure the wall unit via the WIFI...then once it was configured he indicated it will receive much needed software update and should start functioning properly after a couple hours. So will put charger back on in couple hours. He also indicated this was a problem that others are having and did not believe it was related to electrical installation (which was done by a Tesla certified recommended electrician)

I had the same red three blinking error messages and my Gen 3 wall charger keeps stopping working as a charger for my new model S The initial local Tesla rep said it would be electrical install issue. I knew that was not case cause the certified electrician had installed a 60 amp breaker and it was working fine for six weeks. I got connected thru some national wall charging service Tesla customer service. Full disclosure , was on hold for an hour before someone answered phone. But wow was it worthwhile. The Tesla wall charging expert was SUPER helpful. He walked me thru steps to get WiFI connectivity to the wall charger. Then the steps to configure the wall unit via the WIFI...then once it was configured he indicated it will receive much needed software update and should start functioning properly after a couple hours. So will put charger back on in couple hours. He also indicated this was a problem that others are having and did not believe it was related to electrical installation (which was done by a Tesla certified recommended electrician)
@Kerryn2Space please keep us updated! Mine still isn’t fixed and I had updates to the wall unit as well.

I finally had my electrician come out yesterday and check his work. There were no issues but he went ahead and pulled new wire. He used 6 thhn copper. Called today and got firmware update of 1.421. Came home tonight, set my amps on the car to 40A (wall charger set to 50A). Plugged in. Lasted for about 30 min and now I have 3 red blinking lights AND the green charging lights at the same time. So it automatically lowered the car amps down to 34 from 40. Faceplate on the charging unit is slightly warm and the cable coming out the bottom is slightly warm. Nothing else is warm. But the fact remains that I am not getting the product that was sold to me. I will call again next week to get a new charger. You just never know!

I finally had my electrician come out yesterday and check his work. There were no issues but he went ahead and pulled new wire. He used 6 thhn copper. Called today and got firmware update of 1.421. Came home tonight, set my amps on the car to 40A (wall charger set to 50A). Plugged in. Lasted for about 30 min and now I have 3 red blinking lights AND the green charging lights at the same time. So it automatically lowered the car amps down to 34 from 40. Faceplate on the charging unit is slightly warm and the cable coming out the bottom is slightly warm. Nothing else is warm. But the fact remains that I am not getting the product that was sold to me. I will call again next week to get a new charger. You just never know!
those are typical signs of a bad unit.....my gen 2 nema14-50 was replaced with a new hard wired unit because of the heated up wire and handle....sent them video....they even paid for ½ instal cost....I never liked the gen 3 unit just for this reason.....you should not have heating up issues

Reactions: Garnetter
My husband received a call from Tesla today that they are sending me a new unit! I had not even contacted them yet to tell them that this was the final outcome that needed to happen since I’ve been having this issue since June and no software updates were fixing it. I’m still in shock that they called out of the blue, but am very happy that they are doing the right thing!