Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging interrupted... High temp error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I am new to Tesla ownership and have an 11/16 P100D... I am having issues with the car charging on a brand new Gen 3 Home charger. The charger installation is proper and on a 60 amp breaker. The charger is setup correctly, proper size wires and everything has been double checked. For about the first week of using it everything worked great and it would charge at 48 amps and then shutoff at the preset level. After the first few days it started shutting down with an error after about a hour of charging (3 flashes for high heat). It has now been in use for just over 2 weeks and it is now at the point that it will not stay charging for more than a few minutes at a time without interrupting and needing to be reset. At that point if you either cycle the breaker of unplug and re-plug the car in, it starts charging again immediately. Nothing is hot anywhere in the circuit. Not the breaker, the panel, the car cable or plug, the charger, the wiring, nothing is hot. With things working, the circuit is always drawing between 47 and 51 amps at the breaker on both sides. The ground is also secure. Once again all of the wiring, breaker, charger and cable are brand new. There is also no reduced voltage anywhere on the panel supplying the charger. I have had meters on each part of the circuit with min-max recording and nothing changes when the charger shuts down. The only thing that is not new is the car which has 54k mi and charges fine on any supercharger it has been connected to (DC however). So it seems like I have a bad "new" wall charger or a bad charger in the car. Since the car plug does not get even warm I don't suspect the connection at the cars port and superchargers work fine going through the same port.

Anyone else having problems with a Gen 3 Wall Charger?

Thanks for any insight

Hello,
I am new to Tesla ownership and have an 11/16 P100D... I am having issues with the car charging on a brand new Gen 3 Home charger. The charger installation is proper and on a 60 amp breaker. The charger is setup correctly, proper size wires and everything has been double checked. For about the first week of using it everything worked great and it would charge at 48 amps and then shutoff at the preset level. After the first few days it started shutting down with an error after about a hour of charging (3 flashes for high heat). It has now been in use for just over 2 weeks and it is now at the point that it will not stay charging for more than a few minutes at a time without interrupting and needing to be reset. At that point if you either cycle the breaker of unplug and re-plug the car in, it starts charging again immediately. Nothing is hot anywhere in the circuit. Not the breaker, the panel, the car cable or plug, the charger, the wiring, nothing is hot. With things working, the circuit is always drawing between 47 and 51 amps at the breaker on both sides. The ground is also secure. Once again all of the wiring, breaker, charger and cable are brand new. There is also no reduced voltage anywhere on the panel supplying the charger. I have had meters on each part of the circuit with min-max recording and nothing changes when the charger shuts down. The only thing that is not new is the car which has 54k mi and charges fine on any supercharger it has been connected to (DC however). So it seems like I have a bad "new" wall charger or a bad charger in the car. Since the car plug does not get even warm I don't suspect the connection at the cars port and superchargers work fine going through the same port.

Thanks for any insight
Yes, as you mentioned, all worked fine for 2 months.
Now the home charging sessions end with the notice that the charge was interrupted.
Odd thing is, my charging session was, and always is - Completed.
I placed a request to service for help in this issue and they requested that I check my charger to see if I had any heat and or deterioration in the Adapter for the standard 120 volt household outlets (NEMA 5-15).
I would if I could get the adapter to unplug from the charger :)
'Removing the Adapter To remove an adapter, firmly grasp the adapter and pull it from its socket'
The charger when unplugged from the car is always warm, which is odd.

Hello,

Thanks for any insight

Having same 3 red light issue with my Gen 3 wall charger. Was installed by licensed electrician and worked fine at 48 AMPS for the first 2-3 weeks. I then started noticing charging interrupted notifications on my phone in middle of the night. Then it just started failing to finish charging. I reduced the charge rate to 40AMPs - still failed overnight, then 32 AMPs - still failed overnight, then 24AMPS and its not done it again.

During the day I manually kicked off 48AMP charge so I could monitor it and noticed it get a bit warm but nothing more than what a phone charger feels like.

I am probably going to log service ticket with tesla to try and figure out what is going on with it but have not felt like messing with it yet.

Having same 3 red light issue with my Gen 3 wall charger. Was installed by licensed electrician and worked fine at 48 AMPS for the first 2-3 weeks. I then started noticing charging interrupted notifications on my phone in middle of the night. Then it just started failing to finish charging. I reduced the charge rate to 40AMPs - still failed overnight, then 32 AMPs - still failed overnight, then 24AMPS and its not done it again.

During the day I manually kicked off 48AMP charge so I could monitor it and noticed it get a bit warm but nothing more than what a phone charger feels like.

I am probably going to log service ticket with tesla to try and figure out what is going on with it but have not felt like messing with it yet.
For what it's worth. The tech advisor requested that I unplug the male plug from the wall and inspect the prongs for deteration and also pull the 14/50 adapter plug out of the charger and also look at it for deteration. Neither of my plug Ends are damaged so as soon as the car"s battery gets low enough, I will test the home charging again.
Right now the battery is at 358 miles but my home level is 315 and I keep getting it "charging complete at 358' messages
Why, I don't know because it hasn't needed to charge yet!

Hello,

Thanks for any insight

Thanks for all of the replies everyone... To be clear I am using a Tesla Gen 3 wall charger so there are now connections beyond the one at the car and the wiring directly connected to the charger.
I do not have any other charger other than the one that came with the car and that only has the 110v adapter. I can try that I guess for what it's worth to see if it cancels the charging.
My overall issue is to determine if it is the car shutting down the charging or the wall charger doing it. I will be connecting another charger at my business this week (a BMW one) and will see if that one also cancels the charging. That would indicate a car issue.

It is very easy to improperly install the wires into the cable clamps inside the charger because of the angle and lack of visibility. I had one hot on the wrong side of the clamp, it worked for months and then quit. I eventually figured it out with a voltage meter, but a small mirror will allow you to see if your electrician made the same mistake I made. You will have to remove the covers (x2) of the charger to see the incoming wires and cable clamps. A rep I spoke with at Tesla said this is a common problem. Disclaimer: TURN OFF THE BREAKER FIRST!

• Helpful
Reactions: Bill_75D
Same problem as everyone else. I called on 8/21 and got an INQ# assigned. The problem happened again today. in the last 15 minutes while charging to 275 mi the rate dropped to 24A and red LED began flashing. Almost too hot to the touch on surface of the Gen 3 wall device. Scary. $500 down the drain + installation unless this Gen 3 problem gets fixed with replacement or firm/software fix. My firmware is 0.8.58+g2f475f6c93fd79. HELP!

Same problem as everyone else. I called on 8/21 and got an INQ# assigned. The problem happened again today. in the last 15 minutes while charging to 275 mi the rate dropped to 24A and red LED began flashing. Almost too hot to the touch on surface of the Gen 3 wall device. Scary. $500 down the drain + installation unless this Gen 3 problem gets fixed with replacement or firm/software fix. My firmware is 0.8.58+g2f475f6c93fd79. HELP!
No firmware is going to fix a device “almost too hot to touch”. It’s either faulty and should be replaced immediately or has not been installed correctly and should be fixed immediately.

Hello,

Thanks for any insight

I had the same exact problem with my Gen 3 wall charger, 3 blinking lights, electrical connections double/triple checked. The front face of the unit got extremely hot during charging. I put in a service call to Tesla, they said they were going to push an update to fix the issue. After the update, the problem still continued until eventually the 3 blinking lights turned into 1 solid red light indicating internal fault. I called the Tesla again to report the solid red light, they asked me for pictures of the unit with the solid red light, a picture of the charger plugged into the car (red light around the charger plug) and a picture of the error message on the IC cluster (I think it said check charging equipment fault and Wall connector issue). After I sent them the pictures, they ran some of the logs on the car and told me they would be sending me out a new unit as my was "defective." It took them 3 weeks to ship (they did ship priority) because they were out of stock at the time, I did have to send my defective unit back, they provided the shipping label pre-paid. The replacement unit I got looked to be refurbished, definitely wasn't a brand new unit. So far, replacement unit has been working, I occasionally get the 3 blinking lights but it doesn't interrupt the charging.

TLDR: My unit had same issue, turned into a solid red light after some time, unit deemed defective, Tesla sent me a replacement

Hope that helps.

Just to add, in the time I was waiting for the replacement wall unit, I used the mobile charging cable plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Never had any issues with it charging the car or over-heating. If you want to test if it's the wall unit, that might be a good indication if your mobile charger doesn't have any issues charging.