Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging interrupted issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When i charge my Model Y at home with Tesla home charger, after about 30 mins into it i get a message that "Charging interrupted" and charging stops. On the wall charger i see red light. Then i click the button on charging handle and charging starts again. And the cycle repeats itself. Anyone has experienced such issue? Any solution?

I had that issue for a while. Service finally told me to "commission" my Wall Connector so it will connect to me wifi. That will allow them to send an update to the connector. I did that and while doing that I got software updat on the car to 2020.38.4(?? don't remember exactly) and the next night all was well again. I've had no charge interrupted notifications. YMMV!!

Check your car’s alerts to see what’s going on. It will usually give you a specific error code. A lot of these are usually heat related stoppages with the charger. If you have your UMC in direct sunlight, you might notice the system throttling charge rates. Avoid using extension cords or an sort. They’ll usually throttle speed and may potentially be the source of heat generation on the UMC.

Having your UMC dangle from the wall outlet unsupported is bad. You should rig up some sort of hook to remove the strain from the connector.

This is one reason I prefer the Wall Charger at home. I was able to overbuild the circuit to minimize heating issues. A nice short run of 4 gauge wire for a dedicated 60 amp breaker eliminates a lot of wait-a-minute crap.

I had that issue for a while. Service finally told me to "commission" my Wall Connector so it will connect to me wifi. That will allow them to send an update to the connector. I did that and while doing that I got software updat on the car to 2020.38.4(?? don't remember exactly) and the next night all was well again. I've had no charge interrupted notifications. YMMV!!
Thanks for your reply. Its been 15 days havent heard from Tesla on this issue. what do u mean when u say "commission"? How do i do it?

Thanks for your reply. Its been 15 days havent heard from Tesla on this issue. what do u mean when u say "commission"? How do i do it?
It how you connect the wall connector to wifi so it can get any updates that it needs. There some instructions in the box the connector came in. There's even a QR Code that your phone can read to help with all this. I no longer have the instructions and certainly don't remember how to do it. It's the owner's manual, I think!! Good luck!

Reactions: Edifice
It how you connect the wall connector to wifi so it can get any updates that it needs. There some instructions in the box the connector came in. There's even a QR Code that your phone can read to help with all this. I no longer have the instructions and certainly don't remember how to do it. It's the owner's manual, I think!! Good luck!
Thanks for you help. I called the technician who installed the wall charger and he was able to fix it with the method you suggested. Thanks again. It is all working perfect now.

My charger doesn't interrupt after the update, but it drops charging from 48A to 24A every night after less than one hour. What the hell was the point of 60 amp circuit if I can't charge the car at max 40 mph?

My charger doesn't interrupt after the update, but it drops charging from 48A to 24A every night after less than one hour. What the hell was the point of 60 amp circuit if I can't charge the car at max 40 mph?
Are you showing a red light and 3 greens when the charging drops to 24A? If so you probably have a defective charger and should call tesla. You can search this forum for more information.

My car (a 2019 Model 3) has - since I purchased it - been very sensitive to anything happening with larger electric loads in our house. Running the dryer, a space heater, the microwave - any of those would cause charging interrupted. Then my wife got a model 3 so we realized the issue was my car since her's didn't have this problem (even using the same charger). AND - we realized added to the list of things that would cause my car to stop charging was HER car charging. Anyhow - I would have dozens of messages on my phone some mornings. Most of the time it would restart on its own but not always (and sometimes not at times when it was most critical like a planned trip). Anyhow - Tesla service center was very willing to LOOK at the issue and even got engineers from Tesla involved. But they couldn't or wouldn't ID an issue. Anyhow - suddenly in the last month or so (Feb/March 2021) - it has stopped being an issue. The "fix" didn't seem to be related to a firmware update... but it seems like it must have been. Otherwise nothing else has changed. Really odd. But happy it is fixed. Anyone else have an experience like that??