Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging interrupted, restarts after update to 6.2 (v2.5.21)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at all the screenshots so far, it looks like some issue only when charging starts. Has anybody watched their car to see what it's actually doing when it starts charging? Extra clicking noises, amps rising and falling... I mean, is the car charging OK and you're just getting lots of notifications for no apparent reason, or is it actually cycling on and off? It sure looks like an app issue to me and not a car issue.

Looking at all the screenshots so far, it looks like some issue only when charging starts. Has anybody watched their car to see what it's actually doing when it starts charging? Extra clicking noises, amps rising and falling... I mean, is the car charging OK and you're just getting lots of notifications for no apparent reason, or is it actually cycling on and off? It sure looks like an app issue to me and not a car issue.
When I went to the car it was not charging and showed the red circle of death on the charge port. But only had it happen once at a SC.

Nope, I'd been charging for ~30 minutes before getting the notifications; this was at a Tesla store HPWC <1 year old. When I got back to the car there was no cycling, just a red charge port, same as napabill.

Nope, I'd been charging for ~30 minutes before getting the notifications; this was at a Tesla store HPWC <1 year old. When I got back to the car there was no cycling, just a red charge port, same as napabill.

Same here. It's usually well into the process. Lately it seems it's been happening when it's at the end of the charging cycle. I'll come out to a red ring, but the car is charged about to where it should be.

I shall stare at my car tonight when it starts charging because I get the messages at the first minute of scheduled charging every single time. I'm not sure if I know exactly what it SHOULD look like, but I'll look for bad colors at least.

My car stopped doing this start / interrupted / start / complete sequence several days ago, but when it was doing it, the interrupted notification had the exact same timestamp as the original start notification.

A couple of days ago, my iPhone app security tokens expired and I had to log on again. I don't completely recall if the erroneous behavior stopped before of after that, but it might be worth trying to log off the iPhone app, swipe it off so it's not running, then restart it and log on again to see if that has any impact. I'm at a loss to explain why my car is no longer behaving oddly, and this could be the reason.

I had this happen right after the .36 software update. Then it went away. Just came back again last night. When it happens, it just says charging interrupted, right at the startup time programmed in to start charging. Since it's after 1am, I'm not watching it. However, each time it seems to automatically restart the process and complete successfully without further comment.

I may have accidentally discovered a clue, at least in my case. I normally set my HPWC to 60 amps instead of 80 because it gets pretty hot at 80 and I'm in no rush. Over the weekend, I set it up to 80 amps because I needed a fast recharge. I forgot that I set it up to full capacity and didn't get the error message for two or three nights in a row. Last night I remembered and set it back to 60 amps and the error message returned. I'm going to turn it back to 80amps and see if that eliminates the error again.

I may have accidentally discovered a clue, at least in my case. I normally set my HPWC to 60 amps instead of 80 because it gets pretty hot at 80 and I'm in no rush. Over the weekend, I set it up to 80 amps because I needed a fast recharge. I forgot that I set it up to full capacity and didn't get the error message for two or three nights in a row. Last night I remembered and set it back to 60 amps and the error message returned. I'm going to turn it back to 80amps and see if that eliminates the error again.

I always charge at 80 though

Mine is still doing this with the latest firmware. Anyone else. I have a like a 100 notifications on my phone right now.

Yes, it happens at exactly 10pm every night (start of charging). When I look at the phone at any time after that, the app says it is charging fine. Right now (10:38pm), it says it is charging, but I got the interrupted message 38 minutes ago.

Another data point: had this happen for only the second time on Friday, but at the same HPWC at the same store. Interestingly the odd behavior started at the same mileage level as a few weeks back, 224 miles; the store cars normally don't charge over 75% (because they get a lot of range charges at other times) so it may be more than coincidence that they haven't experienced it.

Given that it seemed to appear with a software update, I guess we wait for it to disappear with a software update.

Just as a data point... I have still not experienced this problem even once. I have an 80 amp charger at work and, after reading some of the posts, tried a few different amperage settings and all work fine for me. I am limited to lower amperage at home (wiring capacity) and have seen no problems there either.

As a reminder, I did have this type of problem in the past when my UMC's handle would seam to "wear out" and not make a good connection with the car. I currently have an almost brand new HPWC at home now.