Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging interrupted, restarts after update to 6.2 (v2.5.21)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh hello old friend

c622574fa52c4856b3d78e2c1d677425.jpg

I'm pretty convinced it's a bug in the software somewhere; car, mothership servers, mobile app... There are multiple people reporting the issue (including me), and it started for everyone with the release of firmware version 2.5.21, which may have coincided with a server and/or app update. Despite the sequence of notifications, my car has always charged to completion without intervention. With multiple owners reporting the same issue at the same time, I doubt the fault is with the hardware (car, UMC, HPWC), although some subtle hardware sensitivity to the new software is possible because there are some owners specifically reporting that they have not seen the issue.

And it's intermittent (for me) which are always hard problems to track down because they are not easily repeatable.

I'm pretty convinced it's a bug in the software somewhere; car, mothership servers, mobile app... There are multiple people reporting the issue (including me), and it started for everyone with the release of firmware version 2.5.21, which may have coincided with a server and/or app update.

As I think I may have mentioned, I had this problem big time, but it was quite a while before 2.5.21. I ended up getting a new UMC which solved the problem for me. I have not had the problem once in the past year or so, but I am using a fairly new HPWC and a fairly new UMC now. My guess is that something in 2.5.21 made the car more sensitive to marginal connections at the charge port. Kind of like when they introduced the mechanism to reduce the charge current if the car saw a specific voltage drop. My new cables are probably good enough that the car doesn't "see" a problem, but perhaps older cables that worked well enough prior to 2.5.21 are now just weak enough to trigger this new behavior.

Any fix to this problem. It has occurred every night for the last 3 nights at 10pm when my delayed charging starts. Other than the message on the iPhone, It is not causing any other problems. The car still charges successfully. I plan on calling Tesla tomorrow. My car and HPWC are only one month old. The HPWC is wired for 80 amps even though I only have a single charger.

Still getting it it every night. No problem with charging, just the notification. Set charge rate down to 45 amps instead of 80. No difference.

Any fix to this problem. It has occurred every night for the last 3 nights at 10pm when my delayed charging starts. Other than the message on the iPhone, It is not causing any other problems. The car still charges successfully. I plan on calling Tesla tomorrow. My car and HPWC are only one month old. The HPWC is wired for 80 amps even though I only have a single charger.

I just started getting this behavior yesterday. It first happened when I was charging at 80 Amps. I got the message Charging Interrupted at X time, 89% charge. Charging Completed at X time, 90% charge. The second time was last night after I got home. Charging was set at 32 Amps. The behavior was the same as earlier, Charging Interrupted at X time, 89% charge... etc. The only variable that is new is that I have recently added a heater for the garage. Someone mentioned earlier that summer temps might have been the culprit, I will change the heaters position (under the HPWC) as see if that resolves the behavior.

Peace,
Father Bill

I've had this message recently. It worries me because I've already had two HPWC cables replaced (under warranty, thankfully) for the same issue, both of which fixed it for a while. I'm out of warranty on the HPWC at this point and not looking forward to another issue.

I have had this issue for months. It occurs roughly 2-3 times per week. My car, which is scheduled to charge at midnight, would interrupt and so I would wake to find I had a continuous stream of notifications on my phone and a partially charged car. Like others posting here, unplugging and plugging in again fixed the problem - for a while. It even happens when the charging is reduced to 30A.

I took my car in and they replaced the charging cable (under warranty). It made no difference. So when I called to tell them, I was told to bring the charging cable in for my next visit to the Tesla service place here near Chicago. I did this during my annual "physical" that took place 3 weeks ago. When my car was returned to me they said that there is nothing on the car or in the charging cable that is causing the problem. I was told that a couple of other customers in the area had similar problems and had needed to get an electrician in to check the house wiring or contact the electric company (CommonWealth Edison).

So I was prepared to do this (reluctantly). BUT - the problem has been completely cured. I have not had a single interruption since. Not one.

So I am very happy. However, it raises a big question. How was the problem cured when Tesla service did not think they had found a problem or a cure. Here is some of my speculation:

- Most of the work done in the annual service (wheel rotation, alignment, etc) is unrelated
- Something was done during the diagnosis that fixed the problem. possible but somewhat unlikely as they didn't find a problem.
- Firmware or software version upgrade. Possible but then other people should have similar results.
- Motor replacement. Because of a hum that was growing louder I had an under-warranty replacement of my motor. While I do not believe that the motor is connected during charging, maybe there is something that gets replaced as part of a motor replacement that has an effect. Possible but I have no evidence.

I mentioned this to the service department (dropped my car off to have a TPMS issue fixed today). If I get an update, I will post details here. Unfortunately when I dropped it off I got the one person in that department that tends to give me glib answers rather than fact based insights. Her view was that it must be something ComEd did. Clearly, in this case the coincidence is too great. I did ask her to pass on to the service technicians what has happened as whatever solved my issue may impact other people too.

I took my car in and they replaced the charging cable (under warranty). It made no difference. So when I called to tell them, I was told to bring the charging cable in for my next visit to the Tesla service place here near Chicago. I did this during my annual "physical" that took place 3 weeks ago. When my car was returned to me they said that there is nothing on the car or in the charging cable that is causing the problem. I was told that a couple of other customers in the area had similar problems and had needed to get an electrician in to check the house wiring or contact the electric company (CommonWealth Edison).

So I was prepared to do this (reluctantly). BUT - the problem has been completely cured. I have not had a single interruption since. Not one.

So I am very happy. However, it raises a big question. How was the problem cured when Tesla service did not think they had found a problem or a cure. Here is some of my speculation:

- Most of the work done in the annual service (wheel rotation, alignment, etc) is unrelated
I presume you don't have an HPWC - what do you use for charging? Do you have a 240V outlet in your garage/side of house? Or just 120V?

Given your comments about annual maintenance - if you get Tesla to put winter tires on and off does that significantly reduce the need for annual maintenance? They are rotating/balancing every six months.

Too much of a coincidence that after months and months of a problem the utility did maintenance the exact same day that I took my car in.

- - - Updated - - -

Correct - I do not have an HPWC. I do have 240V NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage.

I have a spare set of rims with my winter tires on. Before then I was rotating more frequently. I have been rotating my summer tires as I have them on for 8+ months of the year. I still do the annual maintenance because it is recommended (or is it required for warranty reasons).

Tesla couldn't find anything in the log?

I've seen this occur on a charger with a bad voltage sense input. When it faulted it definitely set an error code, so was easy to diagnose.

Of course if they replace anything in the car, the do a full firmware flash on all systems, and this procedure clears any DTC's that are set as well. This might be what fixed it.

Do you have single or double chargers?