Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging interrupted, restarts after update to 6.2 (v2.5.21)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla couldn't find anything in the log?

I've seen this occur on a charger with a bad voltage sense input. When it faulted it definitely set an error code, so was easy to diagnose.

Of course if they replace anything in the car, the do a full firmware flash on all systems, and this procedure clears any DTC's that are set as well. This might be what fixed it.

Do you have single or double chargers?

I've been having this issue intermittently for months, since 6.2-2.5.21. The car is now on 7.0-2.7.56 and it's still happening intermittently. I've spoken and emailed multiple times with someone who reached out to me because I publish my VIN on this forum. Tesla has pulled the logs from my car at least twice that I know about and my contact told me directly they can't see any issue. The San Diego Service Center has tried to diagnose the issue with the car in the service center.

The issue only seems to happen with scheduled charging. It's characterized by the "charging interrupted" notification on the app with the same timestamp (within the resolution of a minute) as the "charging started" notification. Sometimes there is more than one "charging interrupted" notification, but for me, charging eventually starts and runs normally to completion without problem.

Tesla couldn't find anything in the log?

I've seen this occur on a charger with a bad voltage sense input. When it faulted it definitely set an error code, so was easy to diagnose.

Of course if they replace anything in the car, the do a full firmware flash on all systems, and this procedure clears any DTC's that are set as well. This might be what fixed it.

Do you have single or double chargers?

Tesla said they could find nothing in the log. When I picked up my car yesterday after an unrelated TPMS maintenance issue, they said that even knowing that the problem was fixed somehow during the annual maintenance they still couldn't correlate it to anything. Maybe the firmware flash had something to do with it. My concern is that there are other people with the same problem and I wish we could track down and explain my cure as it may be of use to others.

BTW I have a single charger.

- - - Updated - - -

The issue only seems to happen with scheduled charging. It's characterized by the "charging interrupted" notification on the app...

Same symptoms as me.

Tesla said they could find nothing in the log. When I picked up my car yesterday after an unrelated TPMS maintenance issue, they said that even knowing that the problem was fixed somehow during the annual maintenance they still couldn't correlate it to anything. Maybe the firmware flash had something to do with it. My concern is that there are other people with the same problem and I wish we could track down and explain my cure as it may be of use to others.

BTW I have a single charger.

- - - Updated - - -

Same symptoms as me.

For the record, my car has dual on-board chargers.

Based on the anecdotal evidence on this thread, it started, for those who've seen it, with firmware 6.2-2.5.21. It occurs on both single and dual charger vehicles, only occurs on scheduled charging, and it's intermittent. I've tried, and so far I've not been able to contrive a scenario in which the behavior is repeatable. Tesla is unable to identify any sort of anomaly in the charging log.

This happens to me too. It's been happening every day, like clockwork, for quite awhile (some v6 release, or possibly v7 but I think it was earlier than that).

My charging starts at 2:30 am. I get, on the iPhone app, the following notifications:

2:30am Charging started
2:30am Charging interrupted
5:07am Charging Complete

Every day. For months. (Except replace 5:07 with a similar time).

I just assumed it was another bug. Other than the notifications, charging has always occurred successfully.

This happens to me too. It's been happening every day, like clockwork, for quite awhile (some v6 release, or possibly v7 but I think it was earlier than that).

My charging starts at 2:30 am. I get, on the iPhone app, the following notifications:

2:30am Charging interrupted
5:07am Charging Complete

Every day. For months. (Except replace 5:07 with a similar time).

I just assumed it was another bug. Other than the notifications, charging has always occurred successfully.
Now you know when your neighbour's meth lab goes online.

Still happening?

I have been getting the error message on and off for about 9 months. Sometimes it charges fine for days then it comes back and charging is interrupted. Had the mobile charger swapped twice. Still the issue persists but for the first 15 months I had zero problems. I use the mobile adapter on a 14-50 NEMA 50 amp service but usually have to dial down to 25 amps to charge overnight. Any ideas? I'm considering a HPWC because I've read the the mobile cables can pull away from the Nema outlet causing a problem but don't want to get the HPWC and still have the same issue. Any ideas are appreciated.

I have been getting the error message on and off for about 9 months. Sometimes it charges fine for days then it comes back and charging is interrupted. Had the mobile charger swapped twice. Still the issue persists but for the first 15 months I had zero problems. I use the mobile adapter on a 14-50 NEMA 50 amp service but usually have to dial down to 25 amps to charge overnight. Any ideas? I'm considering a HPWC because I've read the the mobile cables can pull away from the Nema outlet causing a problem but don't want to get the HPWC and still have the same issue. Any ideas are appreciated.

The issue seems unrelated to UMC or HPWC. I have both, and it has been happening with my car intermittently since firmware version 6.2-2.5.21. However, since I upgraded to 7.1-2.9.154 just over a week ago, I have not seem the issue. Here's hoping that the latest firmware finally nails this one.

The issue seems unrelated to UMC or HPWC. I have both, and it has been happening with my car intermittently since firmware version 6.2-2.5.21. However, since I upgraded to 7.1-2.9.154 just over a week ago, I have not seem the issue. Here's hoping that the latest firmware finally nails this one.

Since upgrading to 7.1-2.9.154 nearly a month ago, I have not seen this anomalous charging notification behavior.

Really frustrating as this issue continues. Couldn't drive the car because it didn't charge overnight and I didn't get the charge interruption notice on my phone. I love my Model S, I really do, but I'm about ready to ditch it if this charging problem cannot get resolved.

Really frustrating as this issue continues. Couldn't drive the car because it didn't charge overnight and I didn't get the charge interruption notice on my phone. I love my Model S, I really do, but I'm about ready to ditch it if this charging problem cannot get resolved.

Have you brought it in? What are they saying? The SvC can update you on the spot.

Talked to service. I have to bring it back (again) for more tests, but the shop is 68 miles away and the fee for pickup is $204, or they'll give me an Enterprise loaner. I'll take it back and see what they find this time. Last time(s) (Sep and Oct) they replaced the chargers, but that didn't solve the problem. Just had the whole power train replaced as that failed just around 50,000 miles.

For those still having problems, make sure you visually inspect every part of your UMC/charger. So check the prongs that plug into the wall (if applicable), the connections between the adapter and UMC, and the connections that go into the car.

I was getting the charge start/stop notifications until I found that one of the areas between the adapter and UMC had been slowly melting over time, leading to a bad connection that eventually stopped working.