Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Interupted: Mobile chargers at home - SVC>House, Electrician> no idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had this happen to me. Tesla pulled the logs from my car, saw high voltage. My electric company was sending 265 volts to my panel, when charging started the car sensed the higher than normal voltage charging stopped and port turned red. Electric company lowered the voltage and the car charges fine. I was told too high or too low a voltage could cause this.

In his case, he successfully gets charging and 5-30 minutes later, things stop.

Yours probably just didn't charge to begin with.

And I'm surprised that 132V didn't make some appliances go pop-pop. Your light bulbs must've had a short short life.

i will call electrician and PoCo to check the neutrals now.

result from last night:
@40A with all breakers off: interrupted charge
@20A with all breakers off: error message popped up on 17" screen and ODO small screen but car still charge
@20A with several breakers on: interrupted charge as soon as i flip breakers on. Sometime it charge for several minutes then stopped.

With all breakers off except the Tesla circuit it still won't charge at 40 amps - this is strange. But if you show that to the electrician surely he can find the problem, because he doesn't have to worry about anything else except that one circuit and your breaker box. Nothing else is involved. Good luck, I hope the electrician fixes it quickly for you. Please post what the problem turns out to be and the solution.

result from last night:
@20A with all breakers off: error message popped up on 17" screen and ODO small screen but car still charge
@20A with several breakers on: interrupted charge as soon as i flip breakers on. Sometime it charge for several minutes then stopped.

You may also want to try testing with all breakers off whether you can charge at 30 A or 35 A.

I recommend that the electrician/power company use a voltage/current line analyzer in series with your charger that checks conditions at least once a second. You might have surges/losses coming from the power company.

result from last night:

I believe you have a bad neutral in your service.

I'm confused. He has a charging problem with all other breakers off. With all 120V loads disconnected, and only the car charging at 240V, how would the neutral come into play?

I should have said a bad neutral and perhaps a bad ungrounded leg to go with it, I'd start looking at the service splices or meter.

That said, turning all your 120V loads off doesn't guarantee the neutral doesn't get used/abused. A neighbor sharing your transformer can end up using your neutral if his breaks, via an earth return path. That's unlikely, but the fact that his GFCI's are tripping in the kitchen pretty regularly and the car's getting interrupted points to a problem in the service.

You'd be surprised how many water pipes end up becoming a neutral conductor for some current.

Updates:
On Friday last week, electrician came out again to replace the main breaker and several other things; None of which helped.:cursing:

We then replaced all the GFCI in the house (just for the heck of it) on Saturday.

Problem persisted all weekend. Charged interrupted every 5 to 30 minutes from 5A to 40A. I could not believe it would interrupted charge @ 5A (NEMA 14-50)

Tuesday night to now: Car has been charging normally @ 40A as it should be. I charged my MS from 49% to 100% with no interruption.:scared:

I had the loaner on Wednesday night and charged it to 100% as well. WOW :scared:

Not sure what happened but i am glad things worked itself out. :rolleyes::love:

Updates:
On Friday last week, electrician came out again to replace the main breaker and several other things; None of which helped.:cursing:

We then replaced all the GFCI in the house (just for the heck of it) on Saturday.

Problem persisted all weekend. Charged interrupted every 5 to 30 minutes from 5A to 40A. I could not believe it would interrupted charge @ 5A (NEMA 14-50)

Tuesday night to now: Car has been charging normally @ 40A as it should be. I charged my MS from 49% to 100% with no interruption.:scared:

I had the loaner on Wednesday night and charged it to 100% as well. WOW :scared:

Not sure what happened but i am glad things worked itself out. :rolleyes::love:

This sounds as if it was something at the power utilities end rather than at your house.