Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging is tripping circuit breaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all

So picked up my Model3 RWD today in Alexandria! Drove it back home and installed the update. Since its sitting at 40% thought I'd just charge it to full tonight.

My (budget) charging setup is a 32amp single phase switch and I've got a 32amp 3 pin tail (Gen2 Mobile Connector Adaptor (Model3, ModelS/X 'Raven') - EVchargers - EV cables and adaptors) connecting to the UMC.

When I've got the tail/UMC connected to the switch and turn the switch on, it immediately trips the circuit breaker. When I turn it on with just the tail (UMC not connected) nothing happens to the circuit breaker, as you'd expect.

I had the 32 amp switch installed a few weeks ago but haven't got a chance to test it. Would anyone know whether the issue could be with the 32amp tail or the 32amp switch?

I'll give the sparky a call but it's already reasonably late. But not sure if the switch is fine and it's the tail itself. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

edit - sorry, no idea what happened with the formatting…

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.
I've been charging via the 10amp for about an hour now so the charger itself doesn't seem to have an issue. With the 32amp tail, as soon as I turn the main on the circuit immediately.
I just tried setting the charge to 5amp before disconnecting the 10amp tail. Then plugged the 32amp tail in (charge speed still set at 5amp) and the circuit flipped immediately as well.

Hey all

So picked up my Model3 RWD today in Alexandria! Drove it back home and installed the update. Since its sitting at 40% thought I'd just charge it to full tonight.

My (budget) charging setup is a 32amp single phase switch and I've got a 32amp 3 pin tail (Gen2 Mobile Connector Adaptor (Model3, ModelS/X 'Raven') - EVchargers - EV cables and adaptors) connecting to the UMC.

When I've got the tail/UMC connected to the switch and turn the switch on, it immediately trips the circuit breaker. When I turn it on with just the tail (UMC not connected) nothing happens to the circuit breaker, as you'd expect.

I had the 32 amp switch installed a few weeks ago but haven't got a chance to test it. Would anyone know whether the issue could be with the 32amp tail or the 32amp switch?

I'll give the sparky a call but it's already reasonably late. But not sure if the switch is fine and it's the tail itself. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

edit - sorry, no idea what happened with the formatting…
Your link goes to a 5 pin tail so not sure what you have.
Your sparkie can check the wall socket is correctly wired and also check the wall end of your adapter is correctly wired too As they are simple to disassemble enough to check.
Unfortunately just plugging in the adapter to the power outlet is not a test until the UMC is connected and the circuit is completed.

Oops, the url doesn't update based on selection. It's the 32a 3pin selection highlighted below.

OK gotchya, I'll give him a ring tomorrow and ask him to have a look. Thanks for the response
Screenshot_20220324-213805_Samsung Internet.jpg

The plot thickens, that is your earth leakage protection device that is tripping. It’s also a 63 amp circuit breaker. Your sparky should be able to advise which of the two is making it trip. It may also be faulty, but he should be able to assess it for you.

Was this installed by a licenced sparky?

Looking at that picture, there doesn't appear to be a dedicated breaker and circuit for your 32 amp socket for the car charger.

The orange 63A looks like it is the service breaker - from the street to your house. Its role is to trip if your home's total load at any one time exceeds 63A.

Reactions: paulp
I'll contact the sparky (yes he was licensed) to come and take a look again. It could be a different breaker, there are 4 more but those weren't tripping (or labelled) so I only took a picture of the breaker that did trip.

Thanks everyone for all the responses,

Your total draw on that circuit board can be as high as 122A but you only have a 63A main breaker. There's your problem right there. Your main breaker should cater for the total draw of all circuits. Your other circuits may be drawing near to max 63A and when you use the charger circuit it draws over the rated RCD limit and the circuit trips. When we installed my HPWC connector we replaced the 40A main breaker with an 80A unit to cater for the extra draw of the charger and left a small overhead free.

Edit: There is nothing in that board marked for your 32A 3 pin outlet. Just a marking for Stove. Where is the charging circuit breaker? If it is somewhere else then that adds yet another 32A to your total draw (i.e. possible 154A draw on a 63A main)

Here is the data sheet for your Main breaker. It is a single pole RCCB main switch with a maximum draw of 63A:

Final comment - turn off all the other circuits on the board(s) and then run only the charger 32A circuit. If it runs without tripping the main breaker then you have proof that your mains is overloaded. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
As per zarbs response, I suppose it would be easy to check by switching all the other circuits to off and seeing if the tripping still occured.
Although I have a feeling the 3 pin plug could be the culprit. I thought that this particular seller was supposed to check each one before sending out? You might have some recourse for costs if it is the case.

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
Your total draw on that circuit board can be as high as 122A but you only have a 63A main breaker. There's your problem right there. Your main breaker should cater for the total draw of all circuits.

Not really. This is where the load assessment comes in. It would be extremely unlike for every circuit to be maxed out at the same time.

The load assessment looks at the expected highest simultaneous load based on the high draw items in the household. (Oven, induction stove, AC etc.)

Edit: There is nothing in that board marked for you 32A 3 pin outlet. Just a marking for Stove.

There was mention of 4 more breakers, so there must be a sub board (not pictured)

Tbh, if I were the OP, I’d cut my losses with the aftermarket tail and get the HPWC installed. The hard part is already done (32a breaker and wiring). Just a matter of the sparky removing the outlet and popping the wallcharger on

Then leave the granny charger in the car for emergencies

Your other circuits may be drawing near to max 63A and when you use the charger circuit it draws over the rated RCD limit and the circuit trips.

The OP says that it charges fine at 10A using the normal tail, but still trips with the car set to 5A with the 32A tail. It even sounds like it might be tripping even if the UMC isn't connected to the car? Either way it doesn't sound like an overload, it seems more like an earth fault in that tail is tripping the RCD part of that RCBO.

Looking at the picture, that is not the main breaker. It is simply the RCD for the two power circuits and is labeled as such. "RCD Circuit 1&2". Those two power circuits are only 20A each so 63A is more than enough for 40A.
OK. I see the text underneath now. But this is a single pole mains breaker. Two 40A and a 32A on the same circuit still draws more than the rated capacity of 63A (possible 72A). Regardless of the theoretical load capabilities of the circuit there is obviously a heavy load on the 2 x 20A circuits such that adding in the extra 32A is overloading the main breaker. The single pole main breaker in this case needs to be 80A minimum. It would be good to see the whole picture regarding this circuit layout as that one picture doesn't tell the whole story. Turn off the two 20A circuits and run the 32A alone just as a quick test. If the breaker trips its an earth leakage issue. If it works fine then it is an overload issue requiring a larger main breaker. Easy test.

Thanks everyone

Final comment - turn off all the other circuits on the board(s) and then run only the charger 32A circuit. If it runs without tripping the main breaker then you have proof that your mains is overloaded.
- Will give that a go tonight when I get the car back from putting on PPF.

I thought that this particular seller was supposed to check each one before sending out?
- I thought so too, it explicitly states it on the website.

It even sounds like it might be tripping even if the UMC isn't connected to the car?
- Yes, I tried that as well. Without the UMC connected to the car, as soon as I flip the switch the breaker trips.

There was mention of 4 more breakers, so there must be a sub board (not pictured)
- Pics of the board is attached
- I'll consider the HPWC but I honestly felt it was overkill for the amount of charging I need (most weeks around 100km's if that)
1648174148251-jpeg.785455

1648174182503.jpeg

1648174198543.jpeg

1648174211497.jpeg