Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Issue Level 2 at Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I Tweeted Elon this morning and asked for the update NOW. Within an hour my car was updating to 2020.36.15 and, YES, it is now charging again! I have Tweeted Elon twice, and as if by magic, my two issues were resolved. Never got a Tweet back but both times it seems to have been a good thing. Happy motoring folks.

So, I Tweeted Elon this morning and asked for the update NOW. Within an hour my car was updating to 2020.36.15 and, YES, it is now charging again! I have Tweeted Elon twice, and as if by magic, my two issues were resolved. Never got a Tweet back but both times it seems to have been a good thing. Happy motoring folks.

I got my 2020.36.15 this morning as well. Will try it out later to see if the charging algorithm is corrected.

Yes, there is a fix to the charging algorithm in 2020.36.15
No, It doesn't fix my car.
I can now charge at 32 amps, but attempting to go above 32 amps still completely stops the charging session.

Funny thing, I got the dreaded text from mobile service today
"Hello,

My name is XXXXX I work for Tesla mobile service. I have review you logs and see nothing wrong on the cars end. Our Tesla technicians are only trained on electrical for the car and are not trained to work on home electrical. Please reach out to [email protected] or 1-877-961-7652, dial option 3 for Wall Connector Support in regards to issues with your high power wall charger. I am going to cancel this service request at this time. Reply STOP to unsubscribe."
Luckily I had called tech support yesterday morning and they reviewed deeper logs and found that evidence of PCS malfunction.
Reached back out to Tech support this morning and they set me up for a service appointment. 2 hours later, mobile service reached out to me and had me call them to schedule an in-service-center visit.

So, there are multiple issues going on people. It appears my car was both sensitive to power fluctuations AND has a failing PCS module. This is a complex car, and we'll continue to see edge cases for many years as they keep on changing things. Luckily, they keep on working on making the car better.

PS: When I first called into Tesla, I was upset. I have to say, the service rep on the phone was a pro. She de-escalated the situation so smoothly that I didn't realize how awesome she was until I was off the call. I made a point to mention that to the tech today. Today's tech told me "oh yeah, she's been here forever and is amazing." I asked her if she sees the other person to thank her for me, and she told me she would.

Yes, there is a fix to the charging algorithm in 2020.36.15
No, It doesn't fix my car.
I can now charge at 32 amps, but attempting to go above 32 amps still completely stops the charging session.

Funny thing, I got the dreaded text from mobile service today
"Hello,

My name is XXXXX I work for Tesla mobile service. I have review you logs and see nothing wrong on the cars end. Our Tesla technicians are only trained on electrical for the car and are not trained to work on home electrical. Please reach out to [email protected] or 1-877-961-7652, dial option 3 for Wall Connector Support in regards to issues with your high power wall charger. I am going to cancel this service request at this time. Reply STOP to unsubscribe."
Luckily I had called tech support yesterday morning and they reviewed deeper logs and found that evidence of PCS malfunction.
Reached back out to Tech support this morning and they set me up for a service appointment. 2 hours later, mobile service reached out to me and had me call them to schedule an in-service-center visit.

So, there are multiple issues going on people. It appears my car was both sensitive to power fluctuations AND has a failing PCS module. This is a complex car, and we'll continue to see edge cases for many years as they keep on changing things. Luckily, they keep on working on making the car better.

PS: When I first called into Tesla, I was upset. I have to say, the service rep on the phone was a pro. She de-escalated the situation so smoothly that I didn't realize how awesome she was until I was off the call. I made a point to mention that to the tech today. Today's tech told me "oh yeah, she's been here forever and is amazing." I asked her if she sees the other person to thank her for me, and she told me she would.

I too have gotten the PCS_a019 message however it hasn't resurrected itself lately so I'll keep that in mind

Well, got home from work this morning and plugged in (after the update to 36.15) and Poof.... Charged just fine.
Lucky you! Here's last night's charge for me. I'm headed on a road trip on Friday, and while I try to never use AC charging on the road, if I have to it will be an excruciating experience. Thank goodness for Superchargers and CHAdeMO.

Seriously 4kw charge rate? What am I driving, a leaf?

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 12.44.19 PM.png

Just a quick shout out to the entire Tesla Service Team. While it was a mystery for 2 + weeks as to why charging had stopped, I have to say that the Tesla Service Team was helpful and understanding and through 2020.36.15 for the M3 and 2020.40.3 for MY we now are able to home charge both cars (48amps) again. I received an evening text message from our Service Tech who had reached out to CA to help expedite the push for the MY tonight. So we are back up and running.

Also sincerely appreciate all the problem solving that was happening on this forum which helped narrow the problem down. Thanks everyone!!

Firmware 2020.36.15 did not resolve my charging problem.

Still limited to 32 amps on a 2018 LR RWD model 3 and getting the Charge Rate Reduced notification consistently every day both at home and at 4 other public chargers I have tried.

I’m glad for all those that the firmware update has resolved the charging problem for.

Perhaps my car has both a h/w problem AND had the firmware bug. Or perhaps this latest firmware fixes some of the bugs but not all depending on your cars specific h/w revisions.

Will be continuing to follow up with Tesla service.

Still limited to 32 amps on a 2018 LR RWD model 3 and getting the Charge Rate Reduced notification consistently every day both at home and at 4 other public chargers I have tried.

I’m glad for all those that the firmware update has resolved the charging problem for.

Perhaps my car has both a h/w problem AND had the firmware bug. Or perhaps this latest firmware fixes some of the bugs but not all depending on your cars specific h/w revisions.

My circuit is 30A and I now can charge at 24A. I hopeTesla get's this worked out.

Power conversion system issue?

Power conversion system issue?

Perhaps it is the PCS. Mobile Service came out today (because I had a low tone horn that needed replacement). The tech. re-pushed 2020.26.15 again ahead of his arrival - but still wouldn't charge over 32 amps. Tried to send 2020.40.3 but wasn't available yet for my car. Since so many cars have been fixed by firmware, he advised to wait for 2020.40.3 and if that doesn't work he will escalate to Engineering in California and we'll take it from there. May end up being h/w in my case, still a chance it's firmware.

Perhaps it is the PCS. Mobile Service came out today (because I had a low tone horn that needed replacement). The tech. re-pushed 2020.26.15 again ahead of his arrival - but still wouldn't charge over 32 amps. Tried to send 2020.40.3 but wasn't available yet for my car. Since so many cars have been fixed by firmware, he advised to wait for 2020.40.3 and if that doesn't work he will escalate to Engineering in California and we'll take it from there. May end up being h/w in my case, still a chance it's firmware.

I had the pcs_a019 notification twice during the charging issue period but cross my fingers, I haven't seen it in awhile. Good luck with it and keep us posted.