Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 10 month old 2020 Model S Long Range with a Tesla wall charger installed at home. For my daily commute (120 mile round trip) I've been plugging in every night and topping up the charge to 80%, with the car set on be ready to depart at 5am. No problems up until 2 weeks ago when I started hearing the charger clicking on and off repeatedly every 2 or 3 seconds halfway through the night. If I look at the charging status in the app, I can see the car charging, then charging stopped, charging, charging stopped............. Sometimes it rights itself and continues charging, while sometimes I have to actually initiate charging in the app to get it to stay charging.

Anyone else seen anything similar?

What is the Firmware of the wall charger? It should be at least 0.8.58. Attach to the wall charger and check to see if it logged any Alerts. The 0.8.58 update came out within the last 3 months, and corrected a problem with overheating. Yours may be overheating and shutting down, starting up, etc. In any event, open a ticket with Tesla through the app. Make sure your wall charger has a good connection to the internet.

Last edited:
I have a 10 month old 2020 Model S Long Range with a Tesla wall charger installed at home. For my daily commute (120 mile round trip) I've been plugging in every night and topping up the charge to 80%, with the car set on be ready to depart at 5am. No problems up until 2 weeks ago when I started hearing the charger clicking on and off repeatedly every 2 or 3 seconds halfway through the night. If I look at the charging status in the app, I can see the car charging, then charging stopped, charging, charging stopped............. Sometimes it rights itself and continues charging, while sometimes I have to actually initiate charging in the app to get it to stay charging.

I'd request a service appointment using the app. They can review the logs for your car to help them see what could be causing the problem. Try also lowering the amperage setting from the central screen in your car by 5 - 10 A. As the other member said, there could be an overheating issue.

I'm experiencing this, too. My 2015 S85D will charge up to close to 80%, then I will find it clicking/popping and not charging to where it's set. I do not have a wall charger, so that's not the issue. Opening the driver's door restarts the charge so that it finishes. The SC had the car over Thanksgiving weekend and replaced the Battery Heater, but that did not resolve the issue. Was your issue ever diagnosed and fixed?

I just had this issue on my 2014. It happened whey I charged to 90% overnight and when I woke up in the morning I increased the charge to 100% for a long trip. When I increased the charge limit it started this clicking on and off. I have the wall charger. I disconnected the plug, did a scroll wheel reboot, and all is fixed. I honestly think its a software glitch with the new firmware released. This has never happened to me before, nor have I heard of it every happening to anyone ( i could be wrong). Im on 40.0.2 as of about a week ago.

Hi @random155,

There are 2 or 3 threads in the model X forum about this...

Charging keeps restarting

The above thread also links to a few Reddit posts.

I see the problem on my Model X with HPWC Gen2. (On release 2020.44.25)

The Reddit threads show it happening also on Gen 3 units.

Probably firmware... But also may be related to programmed "Start time" and programmed "Departure time."

Good luck to us all,

Shawn

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric700
Hi @random155,

There are 2 or 3 threads in the model X forum about this...

Charging keeps restarting

The above thread also links to a few Reddit posts.

I see the problem on my Model X with HPWC Gen2. (On release 2020.44.25)

The Reddit threads show it happening also on Gen 3 units.

Probably firmware... But also may be related to programmed "Start time" and programmed "Departure time."

Good luck to us all,

Shawn
I have a gen 2 wall charger so I'm very confident that its a firmware/software issue with one of the latest updates. It makes sense that the charging refuses to start once the car goes to sleep. However when plugging in while the care is "awake" there is no issue.

I have a gen 2 wall charger so I'm very confident that its a firmware/software issue with one of the latest updates. It makes sense that the charging refuses to start once the car goes to sleep. However when plugging in while the care is "awake" there is no issue.

You should report this case to Tesla using the app, and when you noticed it first. This may help them track down the issue in preparation for a future software update fix. If you know the version you had when everything was working (probably 2020.44.15), this may be even better.

I've gone back and forward on this with Tesla while working concurrently to fix my front end death rattle and wheel speed sensor issues, and the latest from the SC is that I have "grid transients" causing my issue.........................................