Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

neal5

Jul 9, 2021
Pa
Has anyone had a problem with charging an S (2021)? Car starts to charge but stops after 1-2 minutes. Have tried different chargers and cables but no success. Going in for service but am interested in what others experience has been with this issue. Seems odd that it charged properly one day but A few days later the problem developed.

Not 1-2 minutes but mine would regularly stop after 10-15 minutes for a while now. Very annoying to keep unplugging and replugging it in. I didn't take it in to service because the last time my car went in for service for a scheduled charging issue (which actually might have been the same issue/ see conclusion below), they kept my car for 3+ weeks before they even had time to look at it.

FWIW, I think I resolved my issue and it's not the car's fault. I use an old Level 2 charger with the Tesla adapter and the handle is relatively heavy. After noticing some wear on the top of the adapter (end of the adapter that plugs into the charge port), I used a stool to prop up the charge cable so the weight of the handle and cable would not pull the handle down at all. Ever since I started doing this (about 2 weeks now), no charging interruptions.

If you have a Tesla charger at home, this probably isn't the issue because the reason I started experimenting with stools is because I spent a weekend at my friends house who has a Tesla charger and my car charged there with no interruptions (which made me realize the problem was probably with my charger/ I'm just glad the fix was not complicated or expensive).

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Not 1-2 minutes but mine would regularly stop after 10-15 minutes for a while now. Very annoying to keep unplugging and replugging it in. I didn't take it in to service because the last time my car went in for service for a scheduled charging issue (which actually might have been the same issue/ see conclusion below), they kept my car for 3+ weeks before they even had time to look at it.

FWIW, I think I resolved my issue and it's not the car's fault. I use an old Level 2 charger with the Tesla adapter and the handle is relatively heavy. After noticing some wear on the top of the adapter (end of the adapter that plugs into the charge port), I used a stool to prop up the charge cable so the weight of the handle and cable would not pull the handle down at all. Ever since I started doing this (about 2 weeks now), no charging interruptions.

If you have a Tesla charger at home, this probably isn't the issue because the reason I started experimenting with stools is because I spent a weekend at my friends house who has a Tesla charger and my car charged there with no interruptions (which made me realize the problem was probably with my charger/ I'm just glad the fix was not complicated or expensive).

Good luck.
I've had two J1772 cords go bad on two separate EVSEs (two EVs in my garage). One acted like there was a break in the pilot signal close to the handle, you would flex the cable and it would start to charge. I replaced the entire cord and handle assembly and It's been working for about 5 years now. In the second, one of the crimps inside the handle started to overheat and bake the insulation off the wiring. It damaged the inlet on my Rav4 EV. Once again I replaced the cord assembly and everything's fine.

Leviton sells a 30a cord and handle. It's nice because it's a very heavy duty cord and handle, much sturdier than the ones that came on either of my EVSEs.

Reactions: Rocketfan30
Upvote 0