Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging issues 36.5.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I updated to 36.5.5 on 26/10. Did a charge at 00:30 on 27/10. My stats show 32amps going in from the off.
right now, not plugged in and app says 16amps.
I only need a small top up tonight via a boost on my Zappi.
I’ll see whether it goes flat out or not.
UPDATE

Last night’s charge did stick at 16amps but I had to get up in the night and caught it just before it finished so put it up to 30amps.
I haven’t unplugged yet and it’s still at 30amps so I hope it stays put.

I’m struggling with this too.

I keep waking up to much less charge than anticipated with this software update . Now I’m having make up for lack of range during the day at the non-off-peak rate! Eek!

I can’t stay up until 12.30 AM after 3 glasses of wine just to set the charging rate. That’s uncouth.

What’s the solution here clever internet people?

Reactions: hcdavis3
UPDATE

Last night’s charge did stick at 16amps but I had to get up in the night and caught it just before it finished so put it up to 30amps.
I haven’t unplugged yet and it’s still at 30amps so I hope it stays put.
Nope. Back to 16amps when unplugged and no option to increase unless it can be done in the car. I haven’t checked that.

I’m struggling with this too.

I keep waking up to much less charge than anticipated with this software update . Now I’m having make up for lack of range during the day at the non-off-peak rate! Eek!

I can’t stay up until 12.30 AM after 3 glasses of wine just to set the charging rate. That’s uncouth.

What’s the solution here clever internet people?
Rumour is it can be changed when plugged in. If that’s not the case, turn off schedule, charge at 32amps for 30 seconds and then turn on schedule.
that might stick and will only cost a few pence.

Reactions: Chrisgillett
Beware (as in other thread about app charge rate). This issue can be related to playing with the charge rate on the app before your charge is due to start. So long as you haven't touched the rate it will/should pick up the 32amps offered by your charge point ... but ... it you have played with the setting on the app it will only start charging at 16 amp maximum. You can manually increase it but you will not realise this is happening if it's in the middle of the night. (On the IOS app you can move the setting when plugged in but not charging ... I suggest avoiding doing this unless you are intending to charge at 16 amps or less.)

For me on the first night after the update the car charged at 16 amps. I started another charge in the day, increased to 32 amps via the app and monitored it for 30 seconds to make sure it was drawing that and then disconnected. The following evening I plugged in as normal and the scheduled charge when ahead at 32. Screenshot of charge history attached (ignore the clock change blip)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211031-141812.png
    Screenshot_20211031-141812.png
    158.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dilly
For me on the first night after the update the car charged at 16 amps. I started another charge in the day, increased to 32 amps via the app and monitored it for 30 seconds to make sure it was drawing that and then disconnected. The following evening I plugged in as normal and the scheduled charge when ahead at 32. Screenshot of charge history attached (ignore the clock change blip)
That’s good news. Needs fixing properly though

This is what I’m going to try with my Zappi charger. Instead of a timed charge 12.30 to 4.30 as I normally would, I’ve instead set it to the ‘Fast Charge’ settng, which shows as ‘Charge Delayed’ in the Zappi App.

I’ve set the Tesla app for a Timed Charge to start at 12.30 AM. It’s let me set it to 32 AMPs.

Its seemed to have held these settings for now and still showing 32 Amps in Tesla App.

I’ll report back tomorrow

This is what I’m going to try with my Zappi charger. Instead of a timed charge 12.30 to 4.30 as I normally would, I’ve instead set it to the ‘Fast Charge’ settng, which shows as ‘Charge Delayed’ in the Zappi App.

I’ve set the Tesla app for a Timed Charge to start at 12.30 AM. It’s let me set it to 32 AMPs.

Its seemed to have held these settings for now and still showing 32 Amps in Tesla App.

I’ll report back tomorrow
Update on Tesla App / Zappi interface from above:

It does look like this has worked and I got a timed charge at 32 amps or 7 kw. It completed a charge when the Tesla had reached its charge limit of 80%.

So the solution here is to turn my Zappi into a ‘dumb’ charger and leave it on Fast mode ready to deliver 32 amps until the Tesla begins and ends the charge on its own.

This is probably fine for now during this winter period, but it negates the benefit of having a smart charger like a Zappi that will monitor excess solar power.

Normally I would set the Zappi in Eco-Plus mode with a timed charge 12.30 to 4.30. This setting would begin a 1.7 kw charge when it sees excess solar available and automatically charge at a higher rate of 7kw when the Zappi itself is scheduled to begin a charge.

I suppose, if this is a permanent glitch I’ll just have to swap between Zappi charger modes each morning and night and use the clunky Tesla timed charge instead.

I hope this work around for Zappi users is helpful.

It does look like this has worked and I got a timed charge at 32 amps or 7 kw. It completed a charge when the Tesla had reached its charge limit of 80%.

So the solution here is to turn my Zappi into a ‘dumb’ charger and leave it on Fast mode ready to deliver 32 amps until the Tesla begins and ends the charge on its own.

This is probably fine for now during this winter period, but it negates the benefit of having a smart charger like a Zappi that will monitor excess solar power.

Normally I would set the Zappi in Eco-Plus mode with a timed charge 12.30 to 4.30. This setting would begin a 1.7 kw charge when it sees excess solar available and automatically charge at a higher rate of 7kw when the Zappi itself is scheduled to begin a charge.

I suppose, if this is a permanent glitch I’ll just have to swap between Zappi charger modes each morning and night and use the clunky Tesla timed charge instead.

I have the same setup, using the Zappi for charge timing. I haven’t had the charge speed issue. It may be related to not having made any changes via the app?

I am also on 36.55 and I am not seeing an issue.
When unplugged the app defaults to 16amps.
When I plug in at home it jumps to 32amps even though charging is scheduled to start later using in car scheduling.
It charged at 32 amps and now, having finished charging. Is still showing 32amps.

This is exactly what it has always done, except before it did not show it on the app in the same way. My Rolec charger is set dumb so will handshake and advertise 32amp as soon as plugged in even though the car will not allow the charging to start.

I thought this might act as a useful comparison for those having issues.

When you plug in the car and charger handshake and agree what charge they can both handle and charge at that.
If you plug in and the charger is off then that handshake will not occur until the charger switches on at the appropriate time.
It sounds as if when the charger switches on instead of going with what the charger is advertising it is going with what the app is saying you set as the max.

The problem might be that when the charger is off 16amp is shown in the app and cannot be increase but if you touch that to try to increase it the car may take that as an instruction from the app to charge at 16amp. once this happens there may be no way to undo this until the charge starts in the middle of the night ( without switching on the charger and resetting). If this is the case this is not a bug ( coding error) as such but a badly designed software feature that does not allow for your use case.

You might want to try, as others have eluded, Having completed your last charge in this location at 32amps ( yes it is location aware) try putting your zappi back in smart mode. plug it in. Don't touch the charging section of the app or the charge current in the car. in fact, as an experiment. don't even open the app and see what it charges at. I am guessing it will stick with 32amps.

Reactions: Adopado
Hi team,
Since the new update this week my car has not been charging properly. I’ve done 13k in the last 11 months so have a fairly consistent routine - plug in at night, scheduled charging from 00:30, usually 3.5hrs of charging time needed to get from 45% back to 80%.
Since the update on Thursday I only got 20% charge per night.

Anyone else having the same issue? Any ideas what might have changed?
thanks
chris
Chris, can we assume you already did a MCU master reset w/o success.

Tried using the app to schedule charging from my Zappi2 last night and it worked fine. The app showed 32A and that what it appears to have charged at. Incidentally my Zappi seems to charge at 8 KW rather than 7.5.
It charges at 32 amps. The exact kWh you get depends on the voltage at the time. You can get 8kW if your voltage is 250v. Unlikely even if that’s your real supply voltage because of sag when but you may well get close.

Hi all. As many have said above, I worked round this issue.
1. Plugged it in and started a charge during the daytime.
2. In car, increased the charge to 32A
3. Stopped charging and left the schedule set 00:30->
4. Did not touch the app! Still says 10A for me on that. #stupid
5. Seems to have remembered the preference on subsequent charges over last few days.

Chris

I did not enable scheduled charging or departure. Last night I left the car parked away from home and not plugged in. This morning, I woke to a notification that my cabin was preconditioned. I looked in the app to discover Precondition and Off-peak charge options both switched on. What’s going on there? Is the schedule location dependent with a silly default?