Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging issues with my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys!

I recently let an electrician install my 32A Wall charger, and I'm getting slower charging speeds than on a normal electricity outlet. I am only getting around 8 km/h, and on my normal outlet I get 18... Is this normal?

Sorry, I am still kind of new to Tesla...

Thanks!

Is it a Gen 3 (one they currently sell) wall connector? You may have to use the WiFi setup to tell the connector what circuit power it is hooked up to. I’m not sure but it may default to the lowest setting. Can you post a picture of your charging screen? Also make sure the amps are not limited manually on the charging screen

90513092_2959734617417578_1404267569203904512_n.jpg

It is a Gen 3 connector yes. How do I use the WiFi setup? And I'll take a picture right now!

You will need to read the manual.

Installing a Wall Connector

Your electrician should have done this for you (how else was it installed), so it is a bit concerning if that is the case. You will need to know for sure the size of the breaker it was installed on (make sure to find your main panel and test it).

It is a Gen 3 connector yes. How do I use the WiFi setup? And I'll take a picture right now!

On the main electrical panel in your house you need to locate the circuit that the wall connector is on. Hopefully the electrician labeled it. Take note of the circuit breaker rating printed on the breaker. Then turn off the circuit for a few seconds and turn it back on to reboot the wall connector. This will make the WiFi signal discoverable again.

Read through the instructions on this page for instructions on connecting your phone to the wall connector and setting the correct power setting.

https://www.tesla.com/support/installation-manuals-wall-connector#install

On the main electrical panel in your house you need to locate the circuit that the wall connector is on. Hopefully the electrician labeled it. Take note of the circuit breaker rating printed on the breaker. Then turn off the circuit for a few seconds and turn it back on to reboot the wall connector. This will make the WiFi signal discoverable again.

Read through the instructions on this page for instructions on connecting your phone to the wall connector and setting the correct power setting.
https://www.tesla.com/support/installation-manuals-wall-connector#install
Installing a Wall Connector
Pressing the button on the charging connector should also reenable wifi.

Reactions: bradfridell