Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello, I have a 2016 90D and just started throwing the same codes: chg_ f018 and chg_f076. Were you able to fix the charging issue?
Nope. The mobile technician came out with a Model S, and it charged without issue, so the service center replaced the onboard charger. However, it still continues to have the issue. I got ahold of someone in charging support at Tesla who said he wanted to help me, but then ghosted me and won't reply to my emails.

The car charges just fine every night, so I've pretty much given up on solving this since it's more of an annoyance than an actual problem.

thanks for the reply. for BMS_w150 and BMS f150 issues they have already replaced my small high voltage harness, now having this issue. I charged last night and once in the vehicle this morning it gave me the dreaded "may not restart". Checking the notification log it gives me chg_f018/f076 with "unable to charge". this alert coincides with the scheduled charging start time. that all being said the vehicle did fully charge.

with these chevy bolt charging fires and recall, as well as in the news about 5 days ago where a model s burnt down someone's home about a week ago, model s fire while charging it makes me somewhat afraid to charge the vehicle in the garage with my kids bedroom right above.

i love the car and the performance but man it has been in the shop more that my previous BMW, and that is saying a lot.

Hi friends, my 2016 Model X just showed the CHG_f018 error message. I have the latest (gen 3) wall connector at home. The car fortunately still charges, but is maxing out at 23/48A, and varies between 241 and 242V.

Any updates on this?

Bringing this back up... Has anyone figured out a resolution? My X started tossing ONLY the CHG_f018 error a few days ago, it started right after I changed the 12v battery.

It still charges just fine, no obvious errors. Does it with my 240v UMC, with a 120v generic on a J1772 adapter.... Supercharges just fine. I have not been to a Chargepoint or other third party yet. The service center has it plugged in right now with no information about what is wrong - BUT (and I think this is just abusive of the customer) they said they can't do any diagnostics because of the SEAT MISMATCH.... Can't figure out what is wrong with my falcon doors (constantly demanding calibration), can't proceed on the TSB for the door handles, ALL because of this supposed computer error that DOES NOT SHOW ANYWHERE....

BUT THEY KNOW HOW MUCH TO CHARGE ME TO FIX IT ALL!

They want to charge $1000 for the falcon doors they can't diagnose (or fix)
They want to charge $1200 for the door TSB they can't diagnose (or fix)
They want to charge $3200 for the charging error they can't diagnose (or fix)!

WTF. Do I LOOK like a money pinata?

Oh, and the best part: This random error about the charging, that seems to just be a generic "I'm unhappy about something" code.... Means that they think (without being able to diagnose anything) that the car may stop accepting ANY charging at ANY point if I don't pay them to "fix" it!

My coolant heater went out in December and I noticed that I stopped getting the errors after it was replaced. I haven't been checking on it as it never really did cause issues with my ability to charge, so I can't say that fixed it for sure. However, you might consider asking the SC to perform a HV isolation check. The coolant heater failed by causing a HV isolation error after the car sat overnight in below freezing temperatures (it's from Florida, so it's not used to the cold), so my theory is that the heater had been on its way out the door for a while, but wasn't ever an issue in the tropical Florida climate. That's a complete guess, but maybe something to consider.

My coolant heater went out in December and I noticed that I stopped getting the errors after it was replaced. I haven't been checking on it as it never really did cause issues with my ability to charge, so I can't say that fixed it for sure. However, you might consider asking the SC to perform a HV isolation check. The coolant heater failed by causing a HV isolation error after the car sat overnight in below freezing temperatures (it's from Florida, so it's not used to the cold), so my theory is that the heater had been on its way out the door for a while, but wasn't ever an issue in the tropical Florida climate. That's a complete guess, but maybe something to consider.
Interesting... Were you getting that 018 error though?

I DID get an isolation error once, back in the winter when I was in cold weather too - but it hasn't reappeared. The power usage has been steadily creeping up though with no explanation. I thought that ANY isolation error required replacing the pack though...? That's really one of the big errors to get.

Isolation errors can come from any high voltage component - coolant heater, cabin PTC heater (non heat pump), air conditioning compressor, drive unit, the battery pack or the HV wiring.

My high mileage 3 just got a new rear drive unit due to isolation errors while on a trip. I’m picking it up later this week.

>Isolation errors can come from any high voltage component - coolant heater, cabin PTC heater (non heat pump), air conditioning compressor, drive unit, the battery pack or the HV wiring.

Exactly. My theory is that there's a low level isolation issue that's not enough to trigger a specific fault for isolation, but is causing additional power consumption while charging that's leading to the charging faults.

Well interestingly enough, mine is still at the W. Palm Service Center and it had no problem charging last night. That could be because they are on a 208 V circuit with their wall connectors, I do not know. But I got no error on my house power with either the loaner or my model S, both of which are classics like the X. So I’m stumped.

The service writer said that the 018 error can be caused by instability in the voltage supply, so that again points back to Florida plunder and loot. Of course that would be a very intermittent failure and impossible to trace unless you had an oscilloscope logging the power. It’s just interesting that it was very consistent at throwing that error every single time I plugged in at home, and not seemingly anywhere else. But I need to test that against a location like target or IKEA or something.

But at the same time, if it’s not going to give me anything other than a generic “I am unhappy“ type of code and still take power, I’m going to ignore it until it becomes something more important because $3000 to replace the charger does not amuse me.

Not when I went in to service trying to get them to figure out the door calibration on the falcon, and now I am paying $1000 for a spine replacement which should’ve been done based on the recall. but since they tested it with a suction cup, I get to pay for that… arrrgh.

And because my car hates me having any money, the spine piece caught and broke broke one of the roof glasses on the door and then the service writer broke the other one right after I told him how it had just broken the first one. at least he agreed that he’s on the hook for the one that he broke, but that’s another $600 that I didn’t really need to set on fire right then.

Kill me now.

I had a similar experience with the Merritt Island service center in that they have 208V chargers and couldn't replicate my issue. They eventually sent out mobile service with a similar MS to mine and he saw the errors on my car but none when we plugged in his MS, at that's when they decided to replace the charger. However, replacing the charger didn't fix the issue, so I wouldn't recommend spending the $3k.

Coming back around to this - Still having the problem, and it is definitely something within the car itself. It persists with the mobile connector or any other AC source, no matter whether it is coming from the UMC or something like a Chargepoint pedestal.

The only error I am getting is the CHG_f018 (seems to be a generic "I'm unhappy about charging" code) and still charges just fine via AC or supercharger sources.

I'd be happy to figure out any sources to solve that though.

I still get CHG_f018 and CHG_f076 regularly when charging at home (I just checked and they're in the notification history from when I got home earlier this evening). I've given up on worrying about it at this point since it's been over two years and I've never been unable to charge.

I still get CHG_f018 and CHG_f076 regularly when charging at home (I just checked and they're in the notification history from when I got home earlier this evening). I've given up on worrying about it at this point since it's been over two years and I've never been unable to charge.

What's interesting to me (although I don't think related by anything other than coincidence) is that this started up shortly after replacing the 12v battery with an Ohmmu - which has subsequently been detected / rejected by the car's programming as a bad battery. I have not (yet) had the opportunity to try AC charging at anything other than a 32amp / 7kw rate, although as a 2016, I believe this car is *supposed* to have up to 80 amp capability. I HAVE seen it in the past on an HPWC at a hotel at 72 amps.

On my next road trip I will work to find another HPWC option to see if that is possible or the car is limited somewhere internally to less than that 72 amps, which might indicate that one of the chargers is having an issue - which my home charging at 32 amps just can't exceed, but the thing chooses to complain anyway.