Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging keeps stopping.

SteffenDK

Jul 27, 2021
Denmark
Hi all.
Our Tesla Model 3 long range has suddenly started to do some strange charging. We plug it in when back from work (down to 17%) and it seems that charging starts fine, but after about 2-3 minutes charging it stops again. We have not set any time for charging to be complete or anything else it just turns off. We try to start again from app and from the car and the charging starts and runs fine for about 1 minute and then it stops again. We have tried rebooting everything but nothing helps.
The only way we can get a stable charging back is to change the password on our Tesla account log out from everything and sign back in and then we can charge. So far we have changed our password to the Tesla account 4 times during a month to help this issue.
We have also tried to send in a request for service through the app but the fastest time we could get was 1 month from now.

Have anybody else experienced this or could come with some kind of explanation to what is wrong?

Reactions: NormVA

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
Turn off your phone(leave it off) and try again. Any apps on your phone that are Tesla-connected and might be erroneously sending a stop-charging?

As an experiment, disable remote access to the tesla from within the car's screen.

• Helpful
Reactions: Gasaraki

davidfrischer

Mar 31, 2021
Daly city, California
Hi all.
Our Tesla Model 3 long range has suddenly started to do some strange charging. We plug it in when back from work (down to 17%) and it seems that charging starts fine, but after about 2-3 minutes charging it stops again. We have not set any time for charging to be complete or anything else it just turns off. We try to start again from app and from the car and the charging starts and runs fine for about 1 minute and then it stops again. We have tried rebooting everything but nothing helps.
The only way we can get a stable charging back is to change the password on our Tesla account log out from everything and sign back in and then we can charge. So far we have changed our password to the Tesla account 4 times during a month to help this issue.
We have also tried to send in a request for service through the app but the fastest time we could get was 1 month from now.

Have anybody else experienced this or could come with some kind of explanation to what is wrong?
I've also had a very similar problem. No error flashing on the UMC or stopped charging messages on the app or car. I put in a service request in the hopes that Tesla might see something on their end. They didn't see anything but did give me a new UMC (not sure why exactly other than the tech said they do go "bad" occasionally.) Unfortunately, the new UMC didn't help. I think the poster above may be right. I think it is something either with the app or with a 3rd party service. Not 100 percent sure though. It's not the outlet or wiring in my case (checked by a friend who is an electrician) and the fact that a new UMC didn't fix the issue makes me think it is software related. It could t also be the onboard charger but I've sat in my car and looked at the charging start and then stop (at 32 amps, 240 volts - using a nema 14-50) without any interference on my part and not error warning from the car or UMC so that is why I think it might be software related. I don't run any third party apps either.

Stu986s

Mar 10, 2020
Swindon
I have had very similar over the last couple of weeks.

M3 SR+ would start a charge and simply stop, no schedule set on the car. I spoke to PodPoint who kindly replied stating car will only charge during my charging schedule which was set to take advantage of Octopus Go, once i explained I understood how a schedule worked they investigated further and could only identify a weak WiFi signal that could disrupt scheduled charging.

That sounded reasonable so I disable the schedule and started a charge manually, still stopped after a random amount of time. In desperation I reset the Tesla password and it all now seems to work...I do wonder if some random app I tried in the past was disrupting things?

Will keep an eye on things but for the first time in 2 weeks I have a full charge.

jasinflorida

Mar 15, 2020
Lake Worth, FL
I've experienced the same issue on my 2020 MS LR+ since the newest update. The light on the charging port turns red and charging stops. When I unplug the charger and plug it back in, it starts charing again but only lasts a few minutes. I also noticed if the charger is left in too long after the red light comes on, the cooling fan for the batteries come on strong.

This hasn't happened before so I think it may have something to do with the update.

smacar01

Dec 27, 2020
New York
I've experienced the same problem with my Tesla Model 3 and a home ChragePoint level 2 charger. Forcing stop of Tesla app and Chargepoint App. Hope this works.

Scrannel

Sep 27, 2019
Malibu, CA United States
Have a 2019 M3P and was getting charging interrupted message (and charging was stopped). Might be a different issue as when I replugged (2nd or third time). Next time it happened I did a reboot and have had no issues since. But I was getting an error message.

NormVA

Jul 30, 2018
Reston
Hi all.

I have a 2021 Model Y LR and about a month ago I got a message on my phone app that the car had stopped charging. It has gotten progressively worse. Today it would only charge 3 or 4 % before it stopped. The only way to get it to start is to unplug the car and replug it. I know that it isn't the Tesla wall connector because my neighbor uses my connector to charge her Model 3, and does not have a problem.
I scheduled an appointment with Tesla and the work order shows: Replace PT sensor, Low - 1 and Replace PT Sensor High - 2.
My appointment is 4 Nov.
I hope that this does not affect SuperCharging as we are about to leave on a trip tomorrow.

john8899

Aug 15, 2020
New York
I own a 2020 Model Y LR and charge overnight on a 40 amp 240v circuit with the Tesla connector. This morning, there was a message on my phone app that charging stopped at 180 miles, but when the car woke up, it showed 264 miles of charge. However, the limit I set was 274 miles. I manually resumed charging from the phone. Charging resumed and completed the charge to 274 miles. There was no error message when I checked the car.

Charging never has stopped previously. The only difference since I last charged overnight a couple of days ago is that I turned off Cabin Overheat Protection as part of an effort to eliminate the rotten egg smell in the HVAC system. The car is parked in a well sealed and heavily insulated garage, and the cabin temperature this morning was 72 degrees.

john8899

Aug 15, 2020
New York
I discovered that my problem is that I have an inherently defective Gen3 Tesla Wall Connector, Part No. 1457768-01-F, that overheats and stops charging. I will be calling Tesla today when they open to request a replacement with the updated Wall Connector. See:

Weeladdie

Feb 7, 2021
Uk
I am experiencing the same issue with charging stopping after approx 15 mins for the last week. Tesla support believe the logs show that a third party app is issuing a stop charging command.
We have proved that if you stop ‘mobile access’ in the ‘Safety and Security’ menu then the car charges normall.

I had 3 apps installed
⁃ Watch App for Tesla
⁃ AmpTech | Premium Tesla App
⁃ Stats: for Model S/3/X/Y

However, deleting them all did not work….Tesla have said they have done something to disable them from their end but takes 7 days to work🤷‍♂. So we will see next week.

Has anyone else found a solution to this issue?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC