Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging km/hr and tapering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, quick question, what kind of charging rates do you get on your Teslas 60/75s in particular? Saw a 608km/hr yesterday which I thought was above spec. Also when do your 60 batteries start tapering, I saw a drop off at 75% charge down to mid/high 500km/hr?

Cheers (chose Aussie forum for km/hr)

Hi guys, quick question, what kind of charging rates do you get on your Teslas 60/75s in particular? Saw a 608km/hr yesterday which I thought was above spec. Also when do your 60 batteries start tapering, I saw a drop off at 75% charge down to mid/high 500km/hr?

Cheers (chose Aussie forum for km/hr)

Not sure if this is any help, or if you have already seen it.

Cheers, but the charge rate is way lower on that video. I'll have another look when I supercharge tomorrow as I was using the Tesla Toolbox ap and maybe it wasn't accurate.
I get similar results.

You will find your display setting for range likely is set on "Rated" whereas many Tesla owners set on "Typical". The energy usage for "Typical" is based on 200wh/km and on rated is far less wh/km

I set my 70D (75D) on "Rated" as it's closer to the real energy use for my car which on average is around 162 wh/km.

Don't panic your car is normal. What is your range at 80% or 90% charge?

Mine is 360km of 80% - 405km for 90%

I took my refreshed 70D to 100% yesterday, to check range in preparation for a Tassie road trip. Got 355km 'typical'. I think it was about 445 'rated'.
My real world usage is always between typical and rated, usually closer to rated, but for safety I always plan remote trips using typical.

Note that the km/hr rate is the AVERAGE for the charging session thus far, not an instantaneous rate. The kW reading is the instantaneous rate. It might look like your rate is not tapering, when in fact it is about 1/3 the rate as you approach 100% as it was when you started (for an MS60 refresh).