Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging limit ignored?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night, I charged to 90%, or so I thought. I'm on 2019.8.5 and I had the charging limit set to 90%. I received the notification that charging was complete at 294 rated miles around 2 am, but I was sleeping. I unplugged at 6 am without checking the range, but when I got in the car to leave this morning, the range showed 308 miles. Within 20 seconds, that dropped to 305 miles. I double checked my charge limit, and it still showed 90%. Anyone else observe this type of behavior? I've gained 1 or 2 miles after unplugging several times, but this is different. It seems to have ignored my charge limit.

Estimated range is just that -- estimated. Lots of factors go into the estimate. The State of Charge is almost certainly accurate. I often "lose" several kilometers between my garage and the end of the first block on my street, but it's just the result of ambient temperature difference, acceleration, etc. It doesn't really mean anything.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
We don't know what the BMS (battery management system) is doing exactly in the Model 3. There might be things going on that affect how the range estimate is calculating range. I have seen similar things in my Model S so I'm not surprised.

Also, the car will ignore the charge limit if the trip planner is active and the charge needed to reach the next waypoint is higher than what the charge limit is set to. It will charge beyond the limit set and continue to what the trip planner think it needs to reach your destination (and some buffer).

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors and duanra
Prior to the range increase for the LR RWD (what I have), I would consistently get 279 rated miles on my 90% charge. After the range change update, I was getting 291 miles on a 90% charge. Last weekend, I charged to 100%, whiich I occasionally do, and got 323 miles. This was the first charge I've done since then, and I thought I had it set to 90%, but it could have been 91%, so I wasn't too surprised when charging completed at 294 rated miles. The surprise was that it obviously kept charging after it reached "charge complete". I have not seen this behavior before, so I was thinking that there might be a bug in the latest software. I was curious if anyone else had observed anything like this.