Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging limited to 16a

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little food for thought here. Have a 2019 S100D with the factory supplied (Tesla branded) charging cable and 14-50 adaptor. Charging by 240V 50A circuit with 14-50 receptacle. Charging always starts at 32A but drops back to 16A after a short time. This was driving me nuts, of course, so I looked everywhere for a cause. I happened to examine the Tesla 14-50 plug on the adaptor and discovered that it was rated at 30A. WTF. As an experiment I bought an aftermarket (not Tesla branded) 14-50 adaptor, which came with a larger diameter cord and a properly rated (50A plug). I've only used the new one once for several hours (47%-80%), but it never dropped below the 32A max. We'll see going forward...
Any updates? I have the exact same care with the exact same problem.

I noticed this issue happening with my car as well. I use the mobile charger which typically provides 32a but now it is charging at 16a. At first i thought I needed to replace the breaker but after doing so the car was still charging at 16a.

This should be covered under warranty for the battery.

Good morning, I've seen this discussed months ago from what I have found, but never really found a solution. I do have a service date set.

My M3 only will go to charge at 16a instead of 32a all of a sudden when home. It has been fine for over 3 years and over 110k miles.

My wife's M3 has no issues using the same equipment. I've tried swapping out my charger for hers and its the same result.

Has anyone actually found out what the problem is? Thanks for any insight.
I have been experience with that too this year. mine is a 2019 charging at home with the 220v outlet with the OEM charging cable. This is starting to be the issue for me. I've tried tightening the outlet were the wires are connected, that helped for awhile, but it is not back to starting at 32 then dropping to 16. Took it to SC and they said nothing was wrong with the modules in the battery, so, they thought it could be the cable. not sure what it is, but it is frustrating.

I have been experience with that too this year. mine is a 2019 charging at home with the 220v outlet with the OEM charging cable. This is starting to be the issue for me. I've tried tightening the outlet were the wires are connected, that helped for awhile, but it is not back to starting at 32 then dropping to 16. Took it to SC and they said nothing was wrong with the modules in the battery, so, they thought it could be the cable. not sure what it is, but it is frustrating.
The problem can be your outlet, your mobile connector, or your car. It will take troubleshooting to determine which it is.

Please report what the charge screen says. It has two numbers separated by a slash, like 16a/32a. The first number is what the car is actually drawing and the second number is what the EVSE (mobile connector) is advertising. If the second number goes down to 16a, then it's the EVSE that is throttling things down. If the second number is 32a, then it's the car that's doing it.

After the car has been charging at 32a for 10-20 min, stop it and unplug the mobile connector. Feel the blades on the plug. If they are too hot to handle, there's something wrong with your outlet. Warm is fine, HOT is not.

Also, try to test at another EVSE (like at the Service Center), and if you can, try a different car on yours, preferable at your home.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
What brand of NEMA 14-50 outlet do you have?

If it came with the car, it has the same warranty as the car, if bought separately, I think it's a one year warranty. I do wonder if that was part of the reason they stopped including them with the car.
It came with the car but that's what they told me that it has a one year warranty...I can check again, but we'll see. Will read the fine print.

here it is, the fine print. I'll have to reach out to them again!!!
General Terms
Subject to the exclusions and limitations described below, the Charging Equipment Limited Warranty covers the refund, repair or replacement necessary to remedy any manufacturing defects in Tesla manufactured and supplied Wall Connector that occur under normal use for a period of 48 months, and Mobile Connector or charging adapter that occur under normal use for a period of 12 months from the date of invoice to the customer. Any Tesla connector or adapter included in the initial purchase and delivery of a Tesla vehicle by Tesla is covered under the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty section of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first, subject to the terms and conditions of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

This happened to me while I am charging in 105F heat in the sun. I guessed overheating of the portable charger was the cause. I poured a bottle of cold water on the portable charger and disconnected the charger and reconnected the charged. in 60 sec the problem solved. hide my charger in the shade, and it has been working well so far.

• Helpful