Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging loss

Erewegoagain

Aug 29, 2020
Toddington
I used to have the cheapest commute possible as on arrival at Cheshire Oaks after my 170 mile journey there were 2 Tesla destination chargers and I could fill my car for free.

Sadly all great things come to an end and today I arrived to see them replaced by ChargePoint chargers. I’m wondering if I therefore plan in a stop at Keele…..

which brings me to my question. If I charge with a supercharger I believe that is DC charging and there is little loss compared with a non Tesla charger. Can anyone tell me how much the loss is when converting AC to DC as the superchargers are slightly more per KW but I wonder if they aren’t dearer in reality

thanks
Andrew

LukeUK

Feb 25, 2020
Shropshire, UK
Based on the new chargers at Rugby, it was around 13%, based on the data from TeslaFi, compared to the charger itself.

See this post;

Luke

Reactions: Erewegoagain

26ct2143

Nov 22, 2020
Burton-on-Trent, UK
The AC chargers bill you per kwh used, so some energy is wasted by the the car's onboard AC-DC charging system.
Anyway, I'd say if it bothers you, simply choose a charger that has the lowest £/kwh.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC