Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging mode: departure time question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngogas

Sep 19, 2018
Utah
There is a new feature in 36.x that I’m using called departure time when charging. Question I have is, when this is set say 7:30am departure time on weekdays, it suppose to kick on the cabin hvac etc to get it to the right temperature. Question is, if I don’t work on one of those days does that just means the cabin systems like hvac and heated seats etc will turn itself off at 7:30 amexactly? Or will the hvac etc run till I actually leave like at 10 am?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Basically yes. Also note that for some crazy reason, Tesla decided that everybody on earth must be on the same Time of Use electric plan that ends at 6AM, so if you schedule it for 7:30AM departure, it'll actually finish by 6AM. If you schedule it for a 9AM departure, it'll actually finish at 6AM. (It's technically noted as such in the manual, but that still doesn't mean it was well thought out.)

We have a flipped schedule and leave in the late afternoon, so much to my shock the first day after I turned it on to "scheduled charging complete at 4PM," I couldn't figure out why our HPWC was throwing out 500watts all morning.

Long story short: Scheduled Charging was a lame first attempt. Hopefully they'll sort it out in a future update.

Basically yes. Also note that for some crazy reason, Tesla decided that everybody on earth must be on the same Time of Use electric plan that ends at 6AM, so if you schedule it for 7:30AM departure, it'll actually finish by 6AM. If you schedule it for a 9AM departure, it'll actually finish at 6AM. (It's technically noted as such in the manual, but that still doesn't mean it was well thought out.)

We have a flipped schedule and leave in the late afternoon, so much to my shock the first day after I turned it on to "scheduled charging complete at 4PM," I couldn't figure out why our HPWC was throwing out 500watts all morning.

Long story short: Scheduled Charging was a lame first attempt. Hopefully they'll sort it out in a future update.

It sounds very much that the hvac will run till you actually open the door and leave. So if I don’t use the car at 7:30 am and leave at 10am , it’s drawing power for 2.5 hours. Holy *sugar* who is the developer who design this feature. He should be fired. At least have a time limit of 30 mins or so...

Someone please find me the most epic facepalm GIF. I guess I won't be using this feature, and I was really excited for it.

This is the perfect example of how introducing new features can be a bad thing. Doing something completely unexpected and undirected and wasting energy because of it is overall a negative feature, not a positive one.

I hope they sort this out ASAP, it's a bit embarrassing.

Reactions: Rocky_H

My god, I hated the feature when I first read the release notes, but I hate it even more now. What an absolutely horrid implementation.

And if I set the scheduled departure on weekdays only, what does it do on the weekends then? Does it not charge at all?

There is an option to turn it off on weekends for precondition the car if you choose the weekends and weekdays. But you can’t turn off precondition if you only choose weekdays. Again bad design implementation. Amateur developer. No design review!

Needs to be two separate features. If your charging schedule is the same as your departure schedule, then you can set them that way, but if they're different, or if you only want to schedule your charging, or if you only want the automatic pre-condition, no reason to have to do the other.

Needs to be two separate features. If your charging schedule is the same as your departure schedule, then you can set them that way, but if they're different, or if you only want to schedule your charging, or if you only want the automatic pre-condition, no reason to have to do the other.
Yes two features. And for god sake put a default time limit on preconditioning just in case you don’t make it at the set departure time.

It doesn't seem like one would be able to set the charging schedule as prior to this update, but disable scheduled departure (for the reason others have mentioned). There is only one OFF button which I assume it disables both scheduled charing and scheduled departure. Very confusing indeed.

Yah this was a failed upgrade. Hard to screw up but they did.

A) why can’t you control this feature on the phone in the most hyper connected car in the world

B) not everyone has the same schedule as those who work in Fremont California. How about design the feature for the rest of us peons. Some people shift their time to work. Not every day is the same day. Maybe I need to drop off my kid early on Wednesday and Thursday and need it ready at a different time.

My scheduled departure failed this morning. The system switched back to charging schedule of 1:30 am. Was looking forward to a warm cabin at departure time at 7:30 am...but nope. Let’s see if it will keep the departure setting for tomorrow at 7:30 am instead of charging schedule. POS...

My scheduled departure failed this morning. The system switched back to charging schedule of 1:30 am. Was looking forward to a warm cabin at departure time at 7:30 am...but nope. Let’s see if it will keep the departure setting for tomorrow at 7:30 am instead of charging schedule. POS...

I wonder if this was somehow tied to a driver profile, and thus it switched on you? Could the driver profile have changed?

I wonder if this was somehow tied to a driver profile, and thus it switched on you? Could the driver profile have changed?

I doubt it as I’m the only one with the driver profile for this car. I do noticed that every time I change the time for charging in the past, I had to hit the set charging limit and done to save. Which is odd as the set limit and done pertains to charge level and has nothing to do with charge time. Blah POS.