Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging model 3 in self powered mode without draining powerwalls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just had my powerwall install finished over the weekend, so i'm still stuck in self powered mode. until time based control and/or the vehicle charge limit settings show up in the app (which i plan to use for the most part i think), what's the best way for me to charge my car without completely draining the powerwalls insanely fast?

i see three options at the moment:

1) set reserve percentage to 100%...which is not optimal, because then i am drawing from the grid for everything, not just the car. right?

2) set the car to charge around noon, when i'm at peak solar (but before the batteries are completely full)

3) set the car to charge around 2:30pm, when my batteries should be full (today was the first real sunny day, and they got to full at almost exactly 2:30)

is there some other way to handle this that i'm missing? if not, which of these three options is the best / most cost effective? ideally i'd like to charge the car from the grid during off-peak or super off-peak times, but that doesn't seem possible at the moment...am i correct in thinking that this is the best way to handle charging once TBC is available, or are one of these (or another) more effective?
Hi crackers8199
I've had my powerall fro a few months and picked up my new model 3 yesterday. I have the latest Zappi charger. I tried to charge the car last night so used a schedule on the Zappi app (the Tesla app seems to be very limited insofar as you can either set a start time or an end time but not both!) to charge at off-peak. The car said there is a problem as there's no power (I plugged it in a long time before the overnight charging schedule began) but the car charged between the times that I set on the Zappi. However, it drained my powerwall in the process, and as you say there appears not to be any official Tesla "workaround" so I was very pleased to read your post and will attempt that tonight.
I'm pretty much off grid and I want to "practice" charging from the grid if need be.

/or the vehicle charge limit settings show up in the app
I apologize for coming to this so late, but when I look at the app for my MYLR, and touch the lightning bolt, I get to set the car's charge limit and the max amperage it will pull when charging at home. So to charge my car without completely draining the powerwalls insanely fast you might lower that number. Yes, that is all totally manual, as is choosing when to plug the car in, but it does provide some control.

Try the ChargeHQ app. I've been using it for two weeks to maximize charging with excess solar. It can help you accomplish a lot of what you want as wait for an official Tesla solution.

It won't perfectly solve for draining your PW at night, but if configured properly will ensure you only drain your PW during off-peak in the middle of the night. If you combine that with a healthy PW reserve you can ensure all your car grid charging is at off-peak and during the day your car will optimize for excess solar.