Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Model 3 off a propane bbq tank...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you actually charged the car with it? I’m getting a propane generator too, for the house. Will be good to know if it can do the car too.

Also, have you figured the mpg of propane you’re getting? (This might be depressing)

Edit... I looked it up, at about 5 gal propane per 20 lb tank that’s 10-15 mpg, not terrible!

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Great idea in an emergency! I'm curious about time needed and output needed for the generator. Power rarely goes out here in PHX, but could this a Tesla "gas can" people are searching for?

Have you actually charged the car with it? I’m getting a propane generator too, for the house. Will be good to know if it can do the car too.

Also, have you figured the mpg of propane you’re getting? (This might be depressing)

Edit... I looked it up, at about 5 gal propane per 20 lb tank that’s 10-15 mpg, not terrible!

I let it run for an hour today and gained 1%. As for MPG that is what i came up with as well 10-15 MPG actual, 18 MPG is theoretically possible.

I was struggling with how to store and transport spare fuel for the genny and didn't want a messy smelly gas can in my car, not to mention gas in a container can easily go bad and needs additives to be stored. Propane lasts the life of the tank if left alone. (12 years on nice tanks) 5 years on used recertified tanks. That being said some tanks are still in circulation since the 90s so i bet you can get much more than 12 years off a new tank.

As for time to charge. It would be the same as plugging in to a normal 5-15 outlet. This genny can output 15a @ 120v so I could charge a bit quicker if I get the 5-20 adapter and set the charge rate to 15a on the screen

I have a Honda 2000i with a Hutch Mtn propane conversion. I’ve test charged my 3 at 12 amps for about an hour. It charges at 4mph just like a normal wall outlet. You do have to make or buy a plug to bond the ground on the generator or the UMC will refuse to charge at all. It would have to be a pretty dire emergency to have to rely on this to get around in your Tesla.