Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Model 3 via HPWC - "Voltage Too High"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my highest voltage ;)

287v ! And that was on a Tesla mobile charger. Didn't know I would catch this thing at a friend's house. (Most certainly a problem with the Utility)

Where was this? Canada? Standard 120/240 residential service?

That is seriously bad. Like call the utility and get them out there right now bad. That is likely an issue impacting the entire neighborhood (like a failed online tap changer at the substation or a voltage regulator bank somewhere)

Here is my highest voltage ;)

287v ! And that was on a Tesla mobile charger. Didn't know I would catch this thing at a friend's house. (Most certainly a problem with the Utility)

Btw, and why were you at only 24 amps? Did you crank that down, or did the car do it?

Assuming 120/240 split phase service and that the transformer windings are not messed up on your friends service transformer, then they may be seeing 143.5 volts on wall outlets that should be 120v nominal. That is extremely bad. Some things could be damaged or dangerous.

(also, nice and fast charging on the plus side!)

Btw, and why were you at only 24 amps? Did you crank that down, or did the car do it?

Assuming 120/240 split phase service and that the transformer windings are not messed up on your friends service transformer, then they may be seeing 143.5 volts on wall outlets that should be 120v nominal. That is extremely bad. Some things could be damaged or dangerous.

(also, nice and fast charging on the plus side!)

Pretty sure that's 277v service. 287v is fine.