Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging model S without a garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I have a model S reserved #3416 and have a question regarding charging the vehicle. I do have a garage at my house, but it's not convenient to get it and out of (it's in the backyard and we would have to lock/unlock a gate every time we want to access the garage) so, I'm wondering if it is OK to charge the Tesla while sitting in my driveway and exposed to the elements (in California, so elements means rain, sun and rarely some hail).

Thanks for your responses.
TCC

steel-frame-with-elite-sl-3000.jpg

sw%20series%20picture.jpg

double-swing-elite-operators.jpg
?

Basically all EVs support charging at public charging stations which are frequently open-air unprotected. So there wouldn't be any reason why you couldn't do an outside charging station in your driveway too. You just need to make sure you get charging equipment rated for outdoor use.

I have the same configuration of garage you have. I just got a roadster 4 weeks ago and it sits in the garage when not in use. This coming week I'm getting a 240 socket put on the side of my house along the drive way, where I'll be parking my model S when I get it, and where I will charge the roadster when I want/need fast charging, which hasn't been an issue yet.

The socket will go on the side of the house and will have a small bird box like overhang to protect it from the elements. The side of the house it's on already has a 2 foot overhang on the roof and stays dry when it rains, which is quite a bit up here. I have the mobile connector cord which is rated for outside use. I will have it hanging on the wall when not in use or stored in the car or in a rubbermade tube along the drive way.

As you can see, it really shouldn't be an issue for you. Also, I have yet to put more than 80 miles a day on the car, it recharges just fine on 110 to be ready for the next day, which has been a surprise to me. I expected to need a 240 or 70 Amp charging station before I took possession of the car, in the month I've had it, it has not been an issue. I still am putting the 240 in to have it when I need it, which if I have it, I'm sure I'll utilize it by taking longer trips on consecutive days, especially as the weather gets nicer up here. Also, they are not 100 percent sure what the standard will be for the "socket" for charging the Model S versus the roadster. I bet the Model S will have the same connector as the Volt and the Leaf, which is different than the roadster. Having a 240 connection and not a dedicated telsa charger/Clipper Creek charger kept my options open for having two EV's which might have different connectors. (I'm sure Tesla will have an adapter for the Roadster by the time the Model S arrives, but it seemed a reasonable solution to me.) Also it was easy to add a 240 outlet to my existing panel, it was not going to be so easy to add a 70 Amp to it for the high speed charger.

Hope that helps.

VFX, I just got your joke/meaning with the gates you show. It really made me laugh as I wish I had the type of house/garage where I could put something like that in. Although not the smallest garage, my garage and drive way are pretty narrow and would not allow a gate like you have shown. I imagine thaichicali's garage and drive way are like mine.

I have a couple photos.

IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0097.jpg

Thanks for making me laugh.

Fist off, welcome to the board!

The assumption is that the Model S will use a J1772 connector - you'll just need to find an outdoor-rated charge station that you can install outside. There are some now and will be more available (and at lower cost) when your car is ready. So yeah, no worries about charging outside.

I have the same configuration of garage you have. I just got a roadster 4 weeks ago and it sits in the garage when not in use. This coming week I'm getting a 240 socket put on the side of my house along the drive way, where I'll be parking my model S when I get it, and where I will charge the roadster when I want/need fast charging, which hasn't been an issue yet.

The socket will go on the side of the house and will have a small bird box like overhang to protect it from the elements. The side of the house it's on already has a 2 foot overhang on the roof and stays dry when it rains, which is quite a bit up here. I have the mobile connector cord which is rated for outside use. I will have it hanging on the wall when not in use or stored in the car or in a rubbermade tube along the drive way.

As you can see, it really shouldn't be an issue for you. Also, I have yet to put more than 80 miles a day on the car, it recharges just fine on 110 to be ready for the next day, which has been a surprise to me. I expected to need a 240 or 70 Amp charging station before I took possession of the car, in the month I've had it, it has not been an issue. I still am putting the 240 in to have it when I need it, which if I have it, I'm sure I'll utilize it by taking longer trips on consecutive days, especially as the weather gets nicer up here. Also, they are not 100 percent sure what the standard will be for the "socket" for charging the Model S versus the roadster. I bet the Model S will have the same connector as the Volt and the Leaf, which is different than the roadster. Having a 240 connection and not a dedicated telsa charger/Clipper Creek charger kept my options open for having two EV's which might have different connectors. (I'm sure Tesla will have an adapter for the Roadster by the time the Model S arrives, but it seemed a reasonable solution to me.) Also it was easy to add a 240 outlet to my existing panel, it was not going to be so easy to add a 70 Amp to it for the high speed charger.

Hope that helps.

Thank you and everyone else, you have eased my worry about this. My setup is just like erichmonds, so I think having an outdoor (hopefuly 220V) with a birdcage like covering to protect it will work great based on what you guys have said. I figured it would, but I all of the sudden thought...oh damn, what if I need to garage the S to charge it? My wife wouldn't like to have to access the garage every time we wanted to drive - though it would keep the car looking pretty. One issue we do have is a tree hanging over our driveway that drops sap and other tree product stuff onto our cars. Tree is owned by the city and we are not allowed to trip or alter it! Pretty annoying. Anyway, 2012 can't come soon enough.

It will be interesting to see how many people opt for the 160 mile - I'm betting a good majority. So, after the 1000 sigs get delivered, there wont be too many 230 and 300 mile units to product before they start pumping ours out!

I have a couple photos.

That's not tight! This spot requires climbing out the roof!!

View attachment 1519View attachment 1520

Eric,
It looks like you have an automatic garage door opener already. I have a friend (not pictured) with a similar gate arrangement to yours (in front of the Prius at the back edge of the house). You might just call a gate opener company to come out and give you a bid. the motor box could go on the right next to the fence (not quite opening all the way) or on the left behind the house. It may require the gate to change swing direction or maybe split but it can be done and if you are trenching or running lines to the gate motor you could also run a charger line as well. The gate arrangement is very convenient -especially since getting in and out of it is not.

Edit to add: That 3rd picture of two gates opening looks pretty tight too. I am not familiar with the mechanism but it sure seems to be in a small tunnel/drive.

Attachments

• Paul side Tesla 2 Charging.jpg
    Paul side Tesla 2 Charging.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 297
  • Paul side Tesla 1.jpg
    Paul side Tesla 1.jpg
    617.4 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Aother East Coaster here with no garage. I plan to charge Model S in my driveway using a level II charger. Was hoping to move to a new house with a garage before Model S arrived. Given the current real estate market, that may not happen and I will have to relocate the charger as well.