Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging model y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We bought a Model Y and it comes with a charge cord that plugs into 110 and a separate Nema adapter that has a plug to go into a 220 outlet. I want to be able to use the charge cord to plug into the 220 but these two pieces don't integrate. How do I do this and what kind of adapter do I need?

We bought a Model Y and it comes with a charge cord that plugs into 110 and a separate Nema adapter that has a plug to go into a 220 outlet. I want to be able to use the charge cord to plug into the 220 but these two pieces don't integrate. How do I do this and what kind of adapter do I need?
@Cares has it covered, but I'm just here to point out that you mean 240V.

The j1772 adapter isn't used for home charging if you are using the charge cord(UMC-universal mobile connector) that came with the car. Its used if you have some other(non-tesla) charger or you are on the road, typically at a chargepoint or other J1772 equipped charger.

Reactions: Rocky_H
You will need to purchase the correct NEMA adapter if you want to use the Tesla Mobile Connector with a 240V receptacle.

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

The charging accessory that you could not identify is the SAE J1772 charging adapter This adapter enables you to charge your Tesla at any Level 2 public charging station. Keep the SAE J1772 adapter in Tesla vehicle, don't lose it. (Replacements cost $95 from the Tesla store.)

SAE J1772 Charging Adapter

When you use your Tesla Mobile Connector with any of the NEMA power plug adapters don't let the Mobile Connector chassis hang supported by the power plug. The receptacle and power plug are not designed to support any additional weight. Get this Tesla Cable Organizer or a similar organizer kit from Amazon. The Tesla Cable Organizer includes a wall mount bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis.

Cable Organizer

Reactions: Rocky_H