Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging MPH Display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you get the MPH display to show on the charging screen? Mine shows kW, Kwh, A, & V. No MPH.

Toggle between distance and % either by going to the car menu > displays > distance/energy or by tapping on the text in the battery indicator at the top of the screen. That said, I don't find the charging mph display to be particularly useful as it's tied to EPA rated miles, not a historic average. With kW and kWh, I can quickly do the math based on my recent or typical energy consumption.

My understanding is % & range are calculated from the same data?
Not quite.
The % is a "fullness" measurement. That number is a ratio of how much energy it has over how much energy it can hold. So as the battery ages and degrades and can hold less energy, it will always still show 100% when it's holding all it can--regardless of how little actual energy that may be. You don't have any visibility of degradation or lost capacity from a defect if using %.

The rated miles is just the amount of energy, and then scaled by a certain EPA efficiency factor to convert the units. So it doesn't use that comparison to how much total the battery COULD hold.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin