Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging my Raven Model X at a Version 3 supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think most people are obsessing over the wrong thing. My max charge rate rose to 144kw (mxp100) but my average rate dropped considerably with the past few updates. I'll hit 144kw, then drop to 80, then charge at 72kw for the remainder of the SC. I'd definitely prefer to stay at 120 the majority of the charging session instead of the high peak and quick drop nonsense.

Service says it's normal. My supercharging session times have doubled, even though this new peak rate is higher.

I think most people are obsessing over the wrong thing. My max charge rate rose to 144kw (mxp100) but my average rate dropped considerably with the past few updates. I'll hit 144kw, then drop to 80, then charge at 72kw for the remainder of the SC. I'd definitely prefer to stay at 120 the majority of the charging session instead of the high peak and quick drop nonsense.

Service says it's normal. My supercharging session times have doubled, even though this new peak rate is higher.

I agree.

I think the max rates are more of the feel good types of advancing tech. But the few mins at the peak rates and then the quick drops are frustrating.

My charging times aren't longer but I have adjusted to make more stops, charge only to 50-60 soc and then move on. It gets frustrating sitting there at the low rates.

On my trips lately I have been planning it that I reach a SC at 20-30miles left and leave at about 125-140miles (75d).

Unfortunately sometimes I get there with 5-10miles and then it charges really slow until reaching 20miles. But that is a risk I take.

Sadly, I thin this is what tesla wants. Less time at supercharger. That gives more people a chance at using it. And it doesn't look as busy.

Great thread. Where do you find out where V3 superchargers are at?

I'd like to know that too!

I charged off a few V3 during my road trip last week and never saw anything higher than 144kW. I also noticed that yes it would hang out around 70-90 for most of the charge. Even when we hit the new V3 in Vegas with a less than 20% SoC and this SC selected as a destination.

IMG_20200110_182309.jpg

IMG_20200110_182512.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle
Tesla is pushing too much and too high. All batteries in the Model S/X have been reduced in terms of supercharging speed over time. The oldest 85 batteries are now spending more than twice as long at the supercharger as they used to. After a certain amount of charging on DC the 100 batteries are then limited to 108 kW at the supercharger. This already happened to the 90 batteries two years ago. They were reduced to 90 kW. The older batteries have been reduced more gradually but even stronger. It really is just a matter of time for any Tesla battery to be reduced in terms of charge speed.

I believe Tesla had intentions to let the new 100 cars charge at 200 kW (peak) but then the whole #batterygate thing happened and they decided not to go that high.

I almost got 130kW on my x75 @ Casa De Fruta, CA coming back home from SoCal this past weekend.

Time savings vs. cost of Raven isnt significant enough for me yet... maybe when it goes to 250kW and 500mi pack?

View attachment 508299
I recently charged at Casa De Fruta (150kW Max) and Kettleman City (250kW Max at the V3 stall) on my trip to SoCal as well..

With similar SOC at both locations and setting both charging locations in the Navi, I topped out at 130kW at Casa De Fruta and 165kW at Kettleman City on a V3 stall. I think at one point I saw it go as high as 180KW on a previous trip and we used the same stall this time around and got 165kW.

Reactions: wreighven
With similar SOC at both locations and setting both charging locations in the Navi, I topped out at 130kW at Casa De Fruta and 165kW at Kettleman City on a V3 stall. I think at one point I saw it go as high as 180KW on a previous trip and we used the same stall this time around and got 165kW.

Even if it does that (over 160kW), it probably does not make a difference in the charging time. That kind of rate will likely generate more heat and the cooling does not keep up making it taper faster than it otherwise would.

Anyone in the Bay Area get better than 145kw on any of the SuperChargers?
Nope, not on the X. It seems like even if the charger is rated at 150kw and no one else is charging, there’s some overhead that won’t allow you to get all the way there. Even on our 2020 performance 3 at the same station I will barely get to 145 and never over. I’ve tried almost all the stations between Hollister and Sacramento going up 101 and 80.

Even if it does that (over 160kW), it probably does not make a difference in the charging time. That kind of rate will likely generate more heat and the cooling does not keep up making it taper faster than it otherwise would.

Actually it does. Maybe not night and day difference but for the same charging amount, charging at 180kw vs 140kw is faster.
I think your point is if I’m on a long trip, the time difference is less of an issue and you’re right. I’m not looking at it that way though. Minutes can add up to hours with enough folks using the wrong super charger at places like Kettleman. Why should any pre-Raven X sit at the v3 stall when they can’t take advantage of it? It would prevent a 3 from getting in and out faster.

Reactions: E Dizzle