Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging my Raven Model X at a Version 3 supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be trying a ton of Superchargers later next month on my road trip with my boys. I have a 2020 LR+ X and would love to break 150 kW (the most I've done so far is 142, but I think that was on a v2). I'll post my results in this thread.
I hit 199kW on my Raven MX at Metter Georgia V3 SC this past weekend started at 20% SOC and with temp being low 90’s don’t think battery needed any preheating
4EEE3590-3FCF-4451-9ADB-F87F35C05509.jpeg

Nope, not on the X. It seems like even if the charger is rated at 150kw and no one else is charging, there’s some overhead that won’t allow you to get all the way there. Even on our 2020 performance 3 at the same station I will barely get to 145 and never over. I’ve tried almost all the stations between Hollister and Sacramento going up 101 and 80.

Actually it does. Maybe not night and day difference but for the same charging amount, charging at 180kw vs 140kw is faster.
I think your point is if I’m on a long trip, the time difference is less of an issue and you’re right. I’m not looking at it that way though. Minutes can add up to hours with enough folks using the wrong super charger at places like Kettleman. Why should any pre-Raven X sit at the v3 stall when they can’t take advantage of it? It would prevent a 3 from getting in and out faster.

Not sure about the X, but my pre-Raven S can hit well above v2 speeds. Don't block me from charging... :)

MS-164kW.PNG

Finally managed to get some high speed charging yesterday at the Tesla factory v3 charger. My 9/19 X Raven was around 15% SOC when I started charging I started charging around 130-140KW, ramped up after 20% and hit 196KW around 25% SOC for a few seconds, and then it dropped off quickly to 90KW (maybe around 30%) and stayed there until 60% when I left.

If charging to more than 50%, I am not sure that v3 SC is faster than an unpaired v2. It feels as if hitting 200KW heats the cells more and the cooling can't keep up, hence the drop off to 90KW. I'm pretty sure that a v2 SC will charge above 100KW to 60% SOC.

my experience exactly with our 2019 Raven X. We get to 200 and then drops to a sustained 90kw after 50%. Sadly, I’m seeing this on my model 3 as well and will avoid the v3 on my next long trip.