Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging my Y with a NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You misunderstood, for safety measure I was thinking connecting together the ground female and neutral female of the 14-50R socket and then connecting to the ground wire.
Oh, I see. Just tying two pins both onto the ground wire. Still an incorrectly installed outlet then. 14-XX series outlets are required to have both. If you don't have a neutral, then you need to use a 6-XX. Sounds like you're on the right path then, going with a 6-50.

the UMC mobile charger is max at 32 AMP. I use a ChargerPoint HomeFlex at home at 40AMP and gets about 37/38 mi/hr with it.
I just saw that my electric company will give EV owners a Chargepoint Home Flex charger for free ( or at least give us up to $1000 in electrician fees rebate). How do you like the Chargepoint Home Flex charger. Does it simply plug into a NEMA 14-50 outlet? I just had the electrician install that in my garage (240 volt, 50 amp breaker).

I just saw that my electric company will give EV owners a Chargepoint Home Flex charger for free ( or at least give us up to $1000 in electrician fees rebate). How do you like the Chargepoint Home Flex charger. Does it simply plug into a NEMA 14-50 outlet? I just had the electrician install that in my garage (240 volt, 50 amp breaker).
That's awesome! It's been great using it. Just plug and play, easy to install yourself. The app gives you good information about your charging activities that the Tesla app doesn't. It estimate your per session charge cost based on your local electric company rate. Only 2 down side is the cable to plug into the Nema 14-50 is only 1 ft long. I actually had to buy an extension cable since i don't have enough space above my plug due to a shelf that is already there. Second downside is an extra step to unplug the charger from the car when you finish charging since there is no build-in button to disengage the charger from the car like a Tesla charger does. You definitely should get it since it's free! it works out for me since I have a 110v outlet at my work place and I just keep the Tesla charger in the car so I can charge at work also.

Reactions: aburrows
I got a quote over the phone (no inspection of my panel yet) for 30 amp breaker installed for $300, 40 amp for $350 and 50 amp for $400. Assuming my house has capacity, should I just go with the 50 amp? I planned on just using the mobile charger that comes with the car. I could spring for the Gen 3 wall charger if I have to. I have no electrical knowledge so could use some advice.

I got a quote over the phone (no inspection of my panel yet) for 30 amp breaker installed for $300, 40 amp for $350 and 50 amp for $400. Assuming my house has capacity, should I just go with the 50 amp? I planned on just using the mobile charger that comes with the car. I could spring for the Gen 3 wall charger if I have to. I have no electrical knowledge so could use some advice.
yes

I currently have a NEMA 14-50 outlet and use the mobile charger. I would like to purchase a home unit but prefer a plug in. I could remove the outlet and hard wire the Tesla Gen3 charger in place but was thinking of using a range cord with #6 wire so I could plug it in. That way if the unit ever failed I could easily unplug it and use the mobile charger. I saw an article that showed a Gen3 charger with plug but can't find the product for sale. Tesla unveils first home charging station that can be plugged into a wall outlet – TechCrunch

When a friend stopped by with his Model 3 I had him use his J1722 adapter with my Clipper Creek HCS-50P plugged into a NEMA 14-50 with a 50 amp breaker. A picture is worth a thousand words.
xlNTeWQ.jpg

He said the mph would be higher if he had powered off the car and HVAC as it very hot and humid that day and he had all the doors open so we could get an up-close and personal look at the 3.

Since we have a 2017 Volt I'll just use my CC EVSE with the J1772 adapter and leave the Tesla UMC in the trunk. So I'm hoping to see 40 mph in our MY.

Last edited:
I don't understand the reason to buy a $500+ charger. I will likely just buy another mobile connector which I think is $270. I have a Nema 14-50 installed and getting 32 amps off that vs 40 amps seems pointless? It's going to be plugged in over night. Maybe if I drove Uber and had to come home and charge fast and get back out there I would have setup a 60-80 amp setup...

Also with buying the off brand charger now you need another J1772 adapter, assuming you want to keep one with the car (I absolutely will, I don't want to have to manage it back and forth).

Reactions: Rocky_H
I don't understand the reason to buy a $500+ charger. I will likely just buy another mobile connector which I think is $270. I have a Nema 14-50 installed and getting 32 amps off that vs 40 amps seems pointless? It's going to be plugged in over night. Maybe if I drove Uber and had to come home and charge fast and get back out there I would have setup a 60-80 amp setup...

Also with buying the off brand charger now you need another J1772 adapter, assuming you want to keep one with the car (I absolutely will, I don't want to have to manage it back and forth).

I agree there is no value added with the in home $500. unit unless speed of charge is important. I have been using the mobile charger that came with the car and bought the 14-50 adapter plug. I down graded the charging amps to 25 which is more than fast enough to recharge for my use. The cord on the mobile charger gets very warm when running at 32 amps. I know the home unit has a heavier wire and would not get as warm running 32 amps. I wish the mobile unit came with a 14-50 adapter plug instead of NEMA 5-15. It would save $35.

Yea, I will probably change down even from the 32 amps a bit to reduce heat and slightly increase efficiency. I guess there could be efficiency gains with a wall charger? but perhaps it doesn't matter if the mobile charger is set to 26 or lower amps, the wall charger will just be faster at 40 amps. I still don't see a need for 50% speed over a lower setting on the mobile charger. 20 mph at home when needed (mobile charger at roughly 26 amps) should be more than enough 99% of the time.

Please let me know if there is more efficiency with a wall charger and link to it! or Clipper Creek etc, whatever you have.

Please let me know if there is more efficiency with a wall charger and link to it! or Clipper Creek etc, whatever you have.
There isn't going to be any detectable efficiency difference since none of these units are doing any energy conversions. They are EVSEs (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment), which means that all they are doing is some safety detection and communication with the vehicle and then connecting a switch. It's just passing the alternating current circuit from your house down the wire into the car. It's the onboard charger inside the car that does the more complicated work of rectifying it from AC to DC and managing charging the battery.